Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
Irish Dancing Man

Clamped Fins

So I just got a new betta yesterday from Petco for 13.99. Hes a turquoisy blue halfmoon with some red. He is rather large...... But his right fin is working just fine, he is using it just like normal. On the other hand, his left fin is clamped FIRMLY to his side. He never uses it.

10 Gallon tank divided (He has 5 gallons)
Female betta on the other side, but he cannot see through the divider.
New water put in yesterday.
Water temp, 72 degrees.
gravel. no filter, just airstone.

What is wrong with him? What can I do to fix it?
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

The water temp is a bit cold should be between 76-80 degrees
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 
Irish Dancing Man

I'll turn up the heater. Is that the cause? hes been like that since I took him home yesterday.
Irish Dancing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

I am not 100% sure but very possibly could be as some bettas are very sensitive to the temp. Usually for me once they are in water that is around 76-78 they unclamp. As well as turning the heat up it may take him a few days to get used to an environment and he may not unclamp for a few days. Have had that happen to.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

This isn't relevant to your problem (I agree with 123, it's probably a temperature issue), but you may want to look into a filter. In any tank over 5 gallons a filter will save you a lot of work. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #6 
Myates

Agree on temp, bettas are tropical fish and require warmth to stay healthy.
10 gallons, unfiltered you would need to be doing 1 50% water change per week and 1 100% water change with gravel cleaning per month. A filter will eliminate the need for the 100%, but you would continue to do 50% per week with regular vacuuming of the substrate.

If the bettas are the only fish in the tank then an air stone is not needed as they don't normally breathe through their gills- they get their oxygen through the air at the surface using a labyrinth organ. If the bubble are too strong it could disrupt the water's surface and make it harder for them to get the air properly.

If you have other types of fish in the tank, highly suggest using a filter since a cycled tank is needed with most other fish and not dividing by half as most other fish need the whole 10 gallons and then some- why bettas are popular for small tanks, since they are better by themselves, smaller in size, and don't require a cycled tank.

As for the fin- most likely it was damaged during shipping, a net was used when collecting him, or a birth defect.
If you see no signs of trauma on his fin, or immediately around it, then I would wait and see how he does in time.. as there really is nothing you can do for it to fix it at this point.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote