Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #1 
kfryman

First Sorority!

Today is the day! I am gonna release my females, after I do a water change. I just have a couple of questions.

First off: How long should I wait to release the next group?

Second: If one bullies should I just cup it for a day or something?
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 
kfryman

Okay the fish are in. The one that I have had for so long is a guy lol. Or at least so I think.

Two of my females were really going at it. So I took the one that was delivering the most hits out. The only problem is the one that was getting the hits turned out to be a guy too! So I am gonna ask my sister if she wants him or if I can have her 5g that she isn't using. Only problem is it doesn't have a sang heater or hood.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 
MandiceP

I had this same problem! I bought a "veil tail female" from petco. It turned out to be a CT and when I tried to add her to my sorority she went nuts and started attacking one of the others... I noticed her ventral fins were kind of long compared to my other CT female and that her fins were slightly longer all over and I realized that "she" is really a he.... whoops. Took him out and now I can't wait to see what he grows into cause I suspect he's a CTplakat... which would be awesome!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #4 
wolfiegreen

so I'm not the only one that had the problem lol. I'm running out of room for males to sit DX
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
kfryman

I ended up having to return him. I have no money to spend on a new tank.

There have been no fights after I took the one out. The alpha is cupped though because she was chasing the new one. They really don't like my snails lol. They like stalk them and kill them. Nice snail control though
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 
wolfiegreen

Well that sucks :P I used to have small animals so ive got a large kirtter keepers and 2 1/2 gallon ones small ones so hes going in one of those till maybe sometime in the middle of the year. I prefer filtered between work and school i dont have the time to clean tanks once a week. Hopefully you have better luck with the girls.
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Kfry, you mean Kei was a guy? Or one of your newer girls was a guy?

You can try leaving the aggressive one cupped for as little as an hour and then release her again and if that fails, keep her cupped overnight. Sometimes it can take several re-introductions before they get things settled and start to get along. I had to try 3 times with my girls and I almost gave up so don't lose heart. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #8 
kfryman

Ah let's see, Kei is a guy. So he needs a new name lol. And the sisters well one is a very young male. The people at Petsmart were trying to tell by the eggspot and fin size but I saw the beard. Before I took the male back I added a bit more stress coat to help with the fins. I feel bad but I had no room.

I cupped them for the night, I know who is alpha, it is the biggest girl and she is red. She actually kicked the males butt, I had to separate them before anything happened though. The small yellow one and Rarity actually sit on the bottom and hunt snails lol. None have tried to snack on the ghost shrimp so that's good.

Tomorrow when I get home from school I will release them in the order I believe is the pecking order. Hopefully no fights. Besides the male and female fight, there was no nipping. Just a tad of chasing. Hopefully I can get a picture up tomorrow, the tank looks nice, not as dense I would like but nice. Oh and you can't really see the other side thanks to the floating plants roots.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Aww, that's too bad Kei turned out to be a guy. Sounds like you're doing a great job. The first time I put all my girls in, I panicked and yanked them out too soon. Nipping and stuff is okay but it's when you get two who won't back down. Usually, you see one fish beat up another and the loser slinks off. When you get one girl beating on another but the other girl won't give up, then it's time to separate. Have any of your girls done the tail slap yet? I love the tail slap. They turn around and start whapping at each other with their butts.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

Oh I am so lucky my pet store has their females in a large tank, not individuals. I have never had a she turn into a he lol Crappy! Hope it all settles down for you over there!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote