Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #1 
SwimmR

Oh, no, not again (tailbiter!)

So, I thought I'd found the solution to my beautiful Halfmoon "Curly"'s tailbiting. (Not the one in my avitar, another one). I kept him alone in a quiet room, since he didn't respond well at all to the more stimulation I tried. For about 3 weeks, that had been working - his tail was just starting to show regrowth and get a bit longer. Then just this morning while we were out, he chomped his tail again. It's in shreds. So frustrating! Nothing had changed to make him do it, and his tail hadn't grown in much yet, so it wasn't from being too long. I wish I could make him stop - he had such a beautiful tail before this started.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #2 
Dozzem

I also have a tail biter (profile picture) and I want to know how to make it stop. He is really agressive... Why do they do this? Do you think it hurts o.o
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #3 
chrissylee13

i've only ever heard it's because they're bored or they're heavy. i wish i knew. :[
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 
SwimmR

Yeah, some people have had luck by adding "stimulation" to their tailbiters' environment (changing decor frequently, adding toys like a floating ping-pong ball, adding "flare time"). I tried these and he just kept chomping on his tail every day, so then I tried less stimulation (quiet room, basically only went in to feed twice a day and change water twice a week). I even added an Indian Almond Leaf to the water. Those changes seemed to be working, until yesterday :(
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote