Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #1 
Fieldz

Unhappy Strong finrot. How can I destroy it?

My betta fish has a really strong finrot. He started to show some black things on his fins and I started to treat him in his 1 gal quarantine. Before putting him in the quarantine he lived alone in a 5 gal aquarium with a sponge filter and a 100% waterchange weekly.

I started to treat him 3 days ago with 1 teaspoon of aq. salt in his 1 gal aquarium and added 2 drops of anti fungal and anti bacterial liquid (green liquid). I am doing 100% waterchanges daily and washing his tank completely (no soap, surely).

I am picking him using a cup (no net) so I dont damage his fins.

The problem is that his fins are gettin worser everyday! What am I doing wrong? In my country (Brazil) they dont sell Maracyn 1, Maracyn 2 and they dont sell jungle fungus eliminator. What can I do? My family is REALLY attached to this betta and he is considered part of it :/. Everybody is really sad asking me what will happen to him.

Is it possible to buy maracyn 1 & 2 + Jungles fungus eliminator and ship it express to Brazil? If yes, which site? I can pay up to 60 dollars if needed to save Oscar.

Last edited by Fieldz; 02-05-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Try amazon.com for maracyn 1 and 2.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 
Fieldz

By the way, here is the info...

Housing

What size is your tank? 5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge only
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No need, its really hot here in Brazil.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold + BloodWorms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Around 12 Hikari Bio-gold pellets daily and 1 bloodworm a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% Weekly with gravel boiling.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just tetra betta water treatener.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0
pH:Around 6.8-7.0
Hardness:I dont know.
Alkalinity: I dont know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Strong finrot in almost all his fins.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hes swimming normaly, but seems less happy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, as soon as I saw his finrot starting I put him in the 1gal quarantine and added 1 teaspoon of aq.salt + 2 drops of anti fungal e anti bacterial green liquid.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had finrot like 2 or 3 times before, all of them treated completely.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 1 year and a month old. I bought him when he was 7 months old and hes with me for 6 months.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

Hmm...Well for one your changing the water in his 5 gal too much. A 5 gallon can maintain a cycle so 50%/78 changes are more appropriate if you have a cycle. If not then 100 percent is fine.

For the medications...Are you following the directions on the package? Do they have like an emergancy health number on the back? (Maracyn does and we called them once when my betta had a gill disease.)

Other then that...His food. Bloodworms should be an occasional treat not an everyday food item and Hikari changed their formula so now it's mostly wheat and could give him SBD as well. I recommend changing his diet slightly to a different pellet like New Life Spectrum and whilst he has the fin rot...Keep going with the worms to give him some extra nutrients but..I don't know what else to do after.

Last edited by Arashi Takamine; 02-05-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
Fieldz

I`ll try treating him with everything possible. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

Your welcome and I wish you luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 
Laki

The food is probably a lower quality and you're feeding him way too much. Betta will eat 3-4 pellets twice a day and be WELL fed- granted, they'll eat until the explode. Decrease his diet.
The aq salt should combat the infection. If its fast spreading, I actually don't have a suggestion. I would try to order the Maracyn if it's supposed to help. In the meantime maybe someone here can suggest a treatment. Good luck.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote