Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1 
ravensgate

Did my tank kill my fish?

So I just got back into the world of fish ownership 4 days ago. Moved my little betta into his new home 3 days ago and lost him today. He was acting great yesterday, this morning he was making a bubble nest. Then around lunch he started hovering above the pipe that is in the middle of this tank. He would sit there and literally stop moving his little fins and just hover. At one point he went down the tube and came back up it. This was a small betta, and the tube is about 1 1/2" in diameter. When I came home he was at the bottom of the tube dead. Still had all of his color, fins looked good (didn't look like a struggle I guess). I checked the water, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, alkalinity, hardness, etc all normal/safe/in safe ranges. I just don't understand what happened. I used to have bettas years ago. And back then had probably a good 6 or 7. I have never lost a betta this rapidly. I'm so bummed out But I never had this particular tank either.

So, my question of, did my aquarium kill my fish, has to do with the tube. This is the aquarium I have

Walmart.com: Hawkeye AquaView 360 Aquarium, 3gal with LED Light (4 switchable colors): Fish

I saw him go down it and come back up it with no problems. With him hovering above it how he was before I went to run some errands I almost wonder if he died while hovering above it and basically drifted down the tube after he had passed. I guess I'm just wondering where it all went wrong. It's not an issue to keep the water level below the top of that tube to keep something from going down it. I wasn't using the air stone like how it is pictured on the box (no airstone, no filter, was going to water change today).
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 
Arashi Takamine

Did he have a heater? My first HM Kalona died similarly and he one day was moving around the next started slowing down and then later that night I found him dead. If he didn't have a heater or wasn't acclimated properly he could have died from shock.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #3 
ravensgate

Yes, there was a heater in there. Tank was at 78 degrees and was at that when he moved into it. He'd been in there since Friday afternoon so less than 48 hours. The tank was set up and ran with a filter and heater for 24 hours prior to him going in it. One live plant, one plastic plant, and a little house (everything rinsed thoroughly before putting it in there). One thing I noticed is everything he tried to eat he would spit out. He seemed hungry, but it looks like he just couldn't chew stuff. So I soaked 2 pellets last night and he ate those fine. Today he nibbled one pellet but wasn't too interested.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 
Arashi Takamine

You never answered my question. When you introduced him to the tank did you slowly introduce him to the water adding a little to his cup of the new water and adjusting him over an hour or did you just plop him in? The shock of the params may have killed him if that happened if not..He could have been ill in the petshop.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #5 
ravensgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
You never answered my question. When you introduced him to the tank did you slowly introduce him to the water adding a little to his cup of the new water and adjusting him over an hour or did you just plop him in? The shock of the params may have killed him if that happened if not..He could have been ill in the petshop.
Haha, it wasn't in the form of a question, that's why I didn't answer it Yes, he was floated, had small amount of water introduced, etc, but more like over the coarse of 20 minutes or so, not an hour. Whenever I had a problem with shock it was in the first few hours that a difference in the fish was noted. Not 2 days later, but I admit, I haven't done this in years. But I don't ever just 'plop' something into a tank. One thing I noticed though, while he was hovering above the tube, his gills looked like they were protruding slightly. I ran an errand for two hours and decided that if was still acting a bit lethargic I was going to hit him with some Bettafix. Apparently, 2 hours was too long
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #6 
blueridge

Hmmmm...if he went down the tube and couldn't get back up then he might have suffocated to death, bettas do breath air. Did the tube have some kind of protective cover over it so fish couldn't get inside?
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7 
ravensgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
Hmmmm...if he went down the tube and couldn't get back up then he might have suffocated to death, bettas do breath air. Did the tube have some kind of protective cover over it so fish couldn't get inside?
No, it's meant to have an airtube down it for the airstone. Which I did not have in place because I kept reading they didn't like a lot of movement in the tank. He went down it and came back up fine this morning so I have a hard time thinking he got stuck, but then again, he very well could have. It wouldn't be an issue to run the water level lower than the top of that tube to keep another fish from going down there or to put some kind of cover on it, or get rid of it altogether. The problem is the light is on the bottom of the tank and that's where it shines through.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 
blueridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
No, it's meant to have an airtube down it for the airstone. Which I did not have in place because I kept reading they didn't like a lot of movement in the tank. He went down it and came back up fine this morning so I have a hard time thinking he got stuck, but then again, he very well could have. It wouldn't be an issue to run the water level lower than the top of that tube to keep another fish from going down there or to put some kind of cover on it, or get rid of it altogether. The problem is the light is on the bottom of the tank and that's where it shines through.
Oh yes my sister had one of those tanks for her betta but it had some cover over the tube so her betta couldn't go down into it. I would probably do what you already mentioned, which is to either a) drop the water level below the tube, b) make a make sift cover for it, or c) get rid of the light entirely.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #9 
ravensgate

Or another tank. I'm so aggravated by this. Back when I had fish in the past I was such a non chalant fish owner. If they died, big deal, I'd replace them. But now, I'm a different person and different as a pet owner and really wanted to do right by this little guy. And in just 48 hours, I had apparently gotten so used to him I can't stop looking at my tank waiting to see him looking back at me. He was so inquisitive and curious and had a great personality for a new fish. Phooey. Well, if I decide to do this again I'm going to switch out gravel and get something clear so the light is worth a flip or I may look into some suction cup lights for the lid itself and get rid of that center pipe. Or close it off or drop the water level. I just hate I had to lose a fish to see a potential problem with the tank. Dangit.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 
blueridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Or another tank. I'm so aggravated by this. Back when I had fish in the past I was such a non chalant fish owner. If they died, big deal, I'd replace them. But now, I'm a different person and different as a pet owner and really wanted to do right by this little guy. And in just 48 hours, I had apparently gotten so used to him I can't stop looking at my tank waiting to see him looking back at me. He was so inquisitive and curious and had a great personality for a new fish. Phooey. Well, if I decide to do this again I'm going to switch out gravel and get something clear so the light is worth a flip or I may look into some suction cup lights for the lid itself and get rid of that center pipe. Or close it off or drop the water level. I just hate I had to lose a fish to see a potential problem with the tank. Dangit.
It's ok...we all make mistakes, and bettas will work their way into your heart (points at siggy ). Don't beat yourself up over this, its a lesson learned. Now you know what not to do. If I were you and you still had the receipt you could probably pack everything back up and take it back to walmart, or see if they would let you exchange it; I'm not too sure if you could or not. If not you could always take out the pipe, bettas do not have to have a filter. I know this is probably going to happen so, good luck finding your new boy!