Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 
mattoboy

Fish Wont Eat

Hey guys,

Got another Betta at Pet Cetera on Friday night with bloodworms, and didnt eat Friday night or Saturday, then today (Sunday) after a soccer game I went to buy some flakes and pellets (Made sure they were the good ones) and he still wont eat those :( what can I do?

Matt
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #2 
JBosley

My guy, Firefly, hasn't eaten in 9 days I was told just to wait him out, he might just be adjusting! Maybe thats all yours is doing, adjusting
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3 
mattoboy

Yea I guess, but 9 days is alot without eating. PM me what your feeding him.
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoboy View Post
Yea I guess, but 9 days is alot without eating. PM me what your feeding him.
I PM'd you
Old 02-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #5 
ohstacyann

Mine took over a week to eat once I got him. Try feeding him a small pellet everyday. Wait about 5 minutes away from the tank and then check to see if it was eaten, if not, remove it and try again a little later, etc.
ohstacyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #6 
agent89201

A lot of people have this problem with fish they just purchased or when they upgrade their tanks. I just upgraded Beau and he wasn't interested in eating for a day or two. He's just adjusting, like Bosely said.

I'm glad you got a variety of foods for your betta. Sometimes they get bored of the same old food and just wont eat it. It might also be a good idea to refrain from feeding your betta once a week. For example, I fast mine on Sundays! So once he starts eating, give it a 6 days and fast him on the 7th.

Also, make sure you give him bloodworms as a treat (maybe once or twice a week). Use the pellets or flakes you just bought as his main source of food.

Sorry! I kind of threw a lot of info at you, but it's all kind of important and might explain some things.
agent89201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #7 
Bolder

Sometimes if they are constipated they stop eating, I feed mine a tiny bit of a pea, just big enough for it to eat.

After they poop they are fine.

I started giving them a bit of pea once every 2 weeks now, mainly because my fish are very very greedy.
Bolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #8 
Myates

If they aren't eating then they aren't constipated.. constipation has other signs, not just not eating to be looking for.. Peas may help once in a while but feeding on a regular basis isn't a good ideal. It's originally treatment for constipation for goldfish- bettas have a short GI tract and get no nutrition from them.

If you're not taking out the food immediately, JBosley, he most likely is eating off the bottom at his own pace. I have one that only will eat once the food is on the bottom. Not ideal as food to lose nutrition the moment it hits the water- but with quality food and eating within a reasonable time it's not too bad.. just have to make sure that after a while to remove any uneaten.

New bettas can take a while to eat healthy, but they won't starve themselves to death if they are healthy overall.. they can go up to two weeks before they start to starve, and can live close to a month with no food.

Last edited by Myates; 02-06-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
If they aren't eating then they aren't constipated.. constipation has other signs, not just not eating to be looking for.. Peas may help once in a while but feeding on a regular basis isn't a good ideal. It's originally treatment for constipation for goldfish- bettas have a short GI tract and get no nutrition from them.

If you're not taking out the food immediately, JBosley, he most likely is eating off the bottom at his own pace. I have one that only will eat once the food is on the bottom. Not ideal as food to lose nutrition the moment it hits the water- but with quality food and eating within a reasonable time it's not too bad.. just have to make sure that after a while to remove any uneaten.

New bettas can take a while to eat healthy, but they won't starve themselves to death if they are healthy overall.. they can go up to two weeks before they start to starve, and can live close to a month with no food.
I have NOTHING on the bottom, so I could check for that and he wasn't eating it off the bottom. He passed away last night
Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 
Myates

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that :(

He must of been ill when you brought him home.. unfortunately it happens all too often.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote