Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 
a123andpoof

What female or male would work?

Okay so I am very seriously considering breeding after I move. I can't decide who I want to breed though. I am still doing lots of research, but want to be able to look out for the perfect mate for either of them.
So as I am still learning about genetics what are the chances of getting some black milano (sp?) from Arashi (the guy below.) And would this be at all possible if I were to breed with a CT female. Maybe it's a dumb question, but thought I would ask if it is possible. http://ebetta.com/wp-content/uploads...-beta-fish.jpg
Also would it be possible to get no red in any of the spawn? As I would like to try to breed the red out. This is my guy below.

This is the female I also would like to breed not with guy above.

What color guy would be best?

Thanks
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #2 
Bambi

The male will give you fry with red wash and I don''t think you'll get any melano. He has what is called 'wild type' coloring. If you breed him you'll probably get alot of multies and a few who look like him. This is just an assumption though and every spawn is different.

That female is adorable. :o If you could find a similar HM or HMPK male I'd breed her.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #3 
a123andpoof

I do think she has potential for beautiful spawn. My only problem is I would hate to possibly lose her due to breeding as she is my favorite. I would hate to lose him to but I have a little more of a bond with her.

Thanks for the input. If the red is going to be dominant may not breed him. Though would after a few generations would a full black be possible?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #4 
tpocicat

Anything is possible if you breed long enough. On facebook, Karen (Martinismommy) posted a super black male she got from her red/white/blue spawn! There are always surprises, one reason breeding bettas is so fun.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #5 
a123andpoof

Wow! That is awsome! Guess if I ever breed it will be fun to see what I can get!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Super black? .... I thought that was related to the black dragon. That's what I like about bettas - there's always something new about them.

I agree with Bambi, your guy will produce red wash for a few generations. But if you selectively breed the fry, you could reduce the number of fry with red wash.

What color and type is your female? Do you have a side view picture? .... preferably while flaring so we could see her fins and color.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #7 
a123andpoof

This is the only other picture I have. I was told she was a half moon salamander Plakat.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Salamander.... the picture looks white. LOL
Sorry, I know little about salamanders - what genes create them. All I know is that they contain blue and red. But I can definitely say that the above pair wont produce clean black..... not even clean black laces. But I know true purple can be produced from salamanders - I don't mean blue that looks purple-ish but actual purples. Unfortunately I don't know how.

If you want to produce black laces (chances of producing melano is very slim to none) get another black female or an irid color female with as little red on it as possible.
If you want melano, it would be best to get a melano male (never get a melano female because over 90% of them are infertile). Trying to create certain mutations from scratch may take forever.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #9 
a123andpoof

I wasn't planning on breeding the two. She is the other I am thinking of breeding. Deciding on one or the other. That could be interesting I wonder what color male I would need. Bother are walmart fish so what genes actually run through them I don't know.

I thought black females were sterile? I thought you had to use a very dark blue female? True? or not?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Only black Melano's females are infertile (not 100%). Other blacks are fertile.

Yes people breed a black melano to dark royal blue. Perhaps this explains why most melano's will show blue sheen on their body. I was referring to producing black laces (above). If you breed a melano to a lace, you will usually destroy the melano strain and get more laces.

Since genetic tendencies are different now, I may be wrong about the black laces and the melano.