Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 
Jrf456

Angry Does anyone elses family members do this? >:(

This makes me SO mad. My family seems to think I'm crazy because I change my fishes water once a week with 2.5-3g tanks.

" Those tanks are HUGE! How do you change them that often? "

I've had the ammonia talk with my mom 2000000000000000 times but she NEVER listens.

THE THING THAT DRIVES ME NUTS THE MOST: " Grandma Marge had a fish in a 1/2 gallon vase and changed the water once a month! That fish lived 2 years! "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE FISH WAS UNHAPPY WASN'T IT???????!????????!?!?!? I THINK SO!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for spam. >:(

People think I'm crazy because I give my bettas nicer homes than tiny bowls. Ughhhh.. I hope to hear other people do this too to calm me down.. RAGE!

/end rant. >:(
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #2 
Jrf456

I guess not..? D:<
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

Nope your not alone. My dad treated me like dirt when my first betta's died and then kept telling me that Akira was "nothing" and shouldn't be 'a pet' to me that he was only a decoration...He was even willing to poison my pet to preserve a plant...Thank god it didn't happen but no one gets it besides my mom and finally Dad's getting his head outta his arse.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #4 
lexylex0526

No your not alone! my fam thinks Im nuts!! but i dont care:) haha
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 
Luimeril

Ma's of the older mindset. no need to change water, just refill it once and a while, especially when there's a filter.

but, she fusses at me when she sees poo in her betta's tank. xD so... she understands somewhat..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

My family think I am too in to fish, but don't really comment on my schedule. Trying to convince my sister than her 10-inch comet goldfish in his far-too-small 23 gallon tank should be having two 50% water changes a week just doesn't work, though. "He's fine! He's lived through worse!" I just can't convince them about ammonia. Le sigh.

Luckily, we will have a pond set up within a month, and then he will enter it, and it will be my domain. :D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #7 
ravenwinds

Definitely not alone. My mom thinks I'm nuts, too! She says that it's not healthy for the fish to have water changed all the time..."we never did that when we had fish tanks before and our fish lived for years!" Then she blamed the cloudy water(early in cycling) on the frequent water changes and the kind of filter on the tank. I tried to explain about cycling, ammonia, and beneficial bacteria, but she wouldn't change her mind and kept telling me that I needed to get an underground filter. Finally she stopped her comments when water became clear.
Sometimes family can be a real pain!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #8 
RedFynn21

...Okay, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. So, it's not just me, either. Phew. Sigh of relief. I live with my granparents, and they don't exactly get it either. I love them to death, but it gets frustrating...hearing them say, "Why do you do that? Why do you want more than one fish? Why do want such a big tank? Why do they need a heater? What's wrong with a bowl?"
They think I'm going overboard...and don't see why I even think my 2.5 gallon tank seems a bit cramped for space. (Desparately trying to get a 10 gal.--if only I had the room). I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my betta love.

Last edited by RedFynn21; 02-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 AM   #9 
turtlephobic

My parents understand that Bettas need to be kept with a heater and more than a bowl and all that, but they will never get why I must change the water so much. :c
I can understand, though. They are the ones paying the water bill... >>
turtlephobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #10 
fryup

My family dnt like me having a fish tank, iv told my mom if she makes me get rid of the tank then im moving out lol :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device
fryup is offline   Reply With Quote