Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 
StarBetta

Talking New Tank For C.A.!

As I have recently said I would get Captain America a new tank, well today is the day! Yayy! I got him a Aqueon Mini Bow 1 gallon tank for $29.99. Too much, eh? Well it comes with:
  • Mini Bow Aquarium
  • Filter
  • Mini Bow Filter Cartridge
  • Betta Food
  • Water Conditioner
  • Aquarium Light/Hood
The Food and Conditioner are in small bags because they are samples. I won't really use them because I already have food and conditioner. This is how it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-01205-1.../dp/B0036S4Z5O
I have rinsed it and the filter parts. There's already water in it and I have the filter running. Everything is good, nothing broken. Should I float him in a cup for 30 minutes or leave the light/filter running for 24 hours then put him in? Thanks!
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #2 
JBosley

I'm excited to see it once it's set up! Thats the tank that I want to get for my guys, Firefly and Dragonfly.

I usually let my tanks sit for about an hour or so before putting the fish in. And then I float my guys for about 30 minutes. No idea if this is the correct way to do it or not!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #3 
Hanky

What about a heater? I would make sure you have no leaks before you put him in
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I'm excited to see it once it's set up! Thats the tank that I want to get for my guys, Firefly and Dragonfly.

I usually let my tanks sit for about an hour or so before putting the fish in. And then I float my guys for about 30 minutes. No idea if this is the correct way to do it or not!
Okay! I'll do that! Don't worry I'll be posting pics VERY soon!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
I knew I was forgetting something! Next week I will get a heater. Yeah there aren't any leaks. Any suggestions about a heater brand? (Maybe less than $20.00? Sorta on a budget )
Old 02-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #6 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
Off topic question: You see your avatar? Is it yours or is it from a particular restaurant called "Land and Sea"? That tank is so familiar!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #7 
JBosley

I really like this heater, although it only heats up 7 degrees above room temperature.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008
Old 02-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #8 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I really like this heater, although it only heats up 7 degrees above room temperature.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4134008
Oh that seems good! The room temperature only changes from 66-72 so 7 degrees higher than that is perfect! My last heater made the water 110 degrees FARENHEIT but luckily Captain America survived! I wouldn't want another uncontrollable heater traumatizing him!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBetta View Post
Oh that seems good! The room temperature only changes from 66-72 so 7 degrees higher than that is perfect! My last heater made the water 110 degrees FARENHEIT but luckily Captain America survived! I wouldn't want another uncontrollable heater traumatizing him!
Awe! Im glad he was okay after that Yeah it's a really awesome, fully submersible heater. It works great for smaller tanks, Dragonfly (my Betta) like's to sit on it haha. I have never had any problems with it and it was really affordable!

I so can't wait to see pictures! I really want to get Dragonfly one of those tanks. Right now he's in a Kritter Keepers
Old 02-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #10 
Hanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBetta View Post
Off topic question: You see your avatar? Is it yours or is it from a particular restaurant called "Land and Sea"? That tank is so familiar!
Nope thats my tank at home. My iredsecent shark is almost 20" long and over 20 years old, and a bala shark that is 9" and a few goldfish.

About heaters I have no experience with the previous recommended heater, I prefer submersible heaters with a control knob. This way you can set it at say 78 degrees and it will stay at 78 all the time, I dont like the temp to go up and down. if you have one that gets 7 degrees warmer than the room and the room is 65 then the temp only gets to 72, a little cold for bettas, or if the room gets to 80 does the water go up to 87?
all just my opinion though. I'm sure you can find a small decent heater for under 20 bucks though.

I was looking around a little and I'm not sure if they make a heater like I'm talking about for a 1 gallon tank.
I'm also on another forum at Bettafish.com and there are alot of experts there for bettas

Last edited by Hanky; 02-05-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Hanky is offline   Reply With Quote