Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 AM   #11 
Cinderwolf

But he wouldnt be able to bit his swimming fins woudl he? Those, i just noticed are a dark colour and are ragged as well . And there is a bit of darkness around the edge of the fin. you cna see it in the photos. its like a dark grey instead of the usual blue... And the way that there are still the little stringy pieces .. if he was biting it.. wouldn't the whole ray be missing?
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #12 
Cinderwolf

Okay jsut took a closer look. There is definitly discolouration aroudn the edged, soem places ia a lighter orangishbrow colour, and in most places its a dark brown/grey colour with the tips being blood red. the stringy parts of the missing rays are the dark brown/black colour.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #13 
earthworm88

By swimming fins, do you mean his pectoral fins (the two little cute fins on the side)? I read the tailbiters tend to go for their caudal fin (tail fin - most common) or anal fin (bottom fin). The pectoral fins would be difficult to get to I would imagine. I have one with the same color as yours, and if it's fin rot, you really see the black edging. Sometimes they bite in between the rays, which is probably easier than biting the rays off.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #14 
Cinderwolf

yes, the pectorals. They seems raggedy and kinda have little pin holes in them. andyeah after I looked at him in the light I do see the darkbrown/black colour around the edged and red parts as well
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 AM   #15 
earthworm88

Sounds like he may have active infection going on. Is he on treatment right now? You were using aquarium salt previously (prophylactic?), what was your dosage and how long was he in it?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 AM   #16 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Sounds like he may have active infection going on. Is he on treatment right now? You were using aquarium salt previously (prophylactic?), what was your dosage and how long was he in it?
I was just using a little under a half a teaspoon each water change. since around mid december maybe late december. Right now he has what remains of the salt in with him ( I did a 50% change today) . I have some Melafix as per recomendation by another betta owner. Should I do a treatment of that? I plan on doing daily 25% changes til I see an improvment.. just to keep the water clean.