Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Possible Heater Leakage Need Help Please

Howdy everybody! Ichi's mum here reporting that the little bugger is doing awesome. Hes an adorable little spunky tough guy as usual!

Butttttt. For the past month I've noticed that there is what looks like oil on the top of the water, and after a few days it develops a film on the surface (you can actually pick it up with your finger its beyond nasty) I've done several what the heck is this experiments: at first I thought I hadn't gotten safe water, or something along those lines, and have deducted it to be something with the heater. As since I cleaned the tank extremely well and didn't put the heater in the water surface remained crystal clear. When I put it back in, an hour later oily residue everywhere.

How is Ichi doing: Ichiru(my betta's) behavior is perfectly fine, he doesnt show any sign of poisoning from what I can tell (no listless ness, no on the bottom, no gills rapidly breathing, and not a hint of discoloration.)Although he isnt liking this cooler water temperature now that the heater isnt in

Ph, Nitrate,Nitrite and Hardness are all at ideal levels for betta's

Appetite is regular
3 gallon tank (hoping to upgrade with birthday money!!!!!5 gallon for my baby!)

And my heater is a MarineLand 120V 60Hz 10 watt model safe to use in 3+gallon aquariums

So any ideas?
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

Does your tank have a filter or pump?
Are you absolutely sure it's from the heater? It doesn't take much to have oil on the surface of your water; only takes a drop or two and it looks pretty devastating. Otherwise, oil can come from other sources. Some of these are:
-Fish food (some have fat in them)
-your hands (from the oil your skin produces to lotions and other things you handle)
-air (like when your using oils when your cooking- consider the location of the tank and if anything 'oily' is being spread throughout the air)
- Equipment (like your heater)
-Fish waste (poop can contain fat)
-Dead aquatic animal (which I'm sure it's not in this case)

So that being said, I'm not trying to discredit your conclusion but I wanted to add in a few factors you possibly haven't taken into consideration, especially since the oil doesn't seem to be effecting your fish in a negative way. Take into consideration if your overfeeding your fish or if you're not cleaning the tank frequently enough, especially if you don't have a filter or if your filter doesn't aggitate the surface enough. From what I've read with other people having oil leakage from things like a heater, usually their fish shows poor health almost instantly... so it sounds like it's coming from a different source, but you never know; definitely keep an eye on your fish for now!
The oil might not hurt your fish at the moment, but it reduces the normal gas exchange that occurs at the surface of the water. Which in turn, will reduce the amount of oxygen in the water, although since bettas can breath air at the surface it's still not toooooo bad, but definitely something you want to clear up whether it's caused by the heater or by the fish specifically.
If you have a pump or filter circulating the water, you can turn it off, wait for the water to be still and all the oils in the water to surface and then use a paper towel. You're supposed to lightly lay it on the surface for a few moments and then remove it- if needed, repeat the process as many times as necessary.
On the off-chance it is the heater, you might want to go ahead and just get a new one- make sure you rinse it and test it for about a day to make absolutely sure it doesn't have any defects before introducing it to your tank- like oil, shorting, heating at the right temperature, or just plain not working. Since it's a betta, having more aggitation to the water wouldn't be benificial.. So keep in mind how often you clean your tank, how much you feed your fish, whether or not you use lotion on your hands and if you don't use gloves to clean your tank, and the location of your tank and what goes on in the air. Hope that helps a bit.. sorry for the long explaination >.>;;....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #3 
ChibiShishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Does your tank have a filter or pump?
Are you absolutely sure it's from the heater? It doesn't take much to have oil on the surface of your water; only takes a drop or two and it looks pretty devastating. Otherwise, oil can come from other sources. Some of these are:
-Fish food (some have fat in them)
-your hands (from the oil your skin produces to lotions and other things you handle)
-air (like when your using oils when your cooking- consider the location of the tank and if anything 'oily' is being spread throughout the air)
- Equipment (like your heater)
-Fish waste (poop can contain fat)
-Dead aquatic animal (which I'm sure it's not in this case)

So that being said, I'm not trying to discredit your conclusion but I wanted to add in a few factors you possibly haven't taken into consideration, especially since the oil doesn't seem to be effecting your fish in a negative way. Take into consideration if your overfeeding your fish or if you're not cleaning the tank frequently enough, especially if you don't have a filter or if your filter doesn't aggitate the surface enough. From what I've read with other people having oil leakage from things like a heater, usually their fish shows poor health almost instantly... so it sounds like it's coming from a different source, but you never know; definitely keep an eye on your fish for now!
The oil might not hurt your fish at the moment, but it reduces the normal gas exchange that occurs at the surface of the water. Which in turn, will reduce the amount of oxygen in the water, although since bettas can breath air at the surface it's still not toooooo bad, but definitely something you want to clear up whether it's caused by the heater or by the fish specifically.
If you have a pump or filter circulating the water, you can turn it off, wait for the water to be still and all the oils in the water to surface and then use a paper towel. You're supposed to lightly lay it on the surface for a few moments and then remove it- if needed, repeat the process as many times as necessary.
On the off-chance it is the heater, you might want to go ahead and just get a new one- make sure you rinse it and test it for about a day to make absolutely sure it doesn't have any defects before introducing it to your tank- like oil, shorting, heating at the right temperature, or just plain not working. Since it's a betta, having more aggitation to the water wouldn't be benificial.. So keep in mind how often you clean your tank, how much you feed your fish, whether or not you use lotion on your hands and if you don't use gloves to clean your tank, and the location of your tank and what goes on in the air. Hope that helps a bit.. sorry for the long explaination >.>;;....
Oh no youre fine! I appreciate the help and insight.Thank you for replying! Lemme answer all I can!
Well lets see;
I feed him twice a day with a fasting once a week. Food hasnt changed. Other than an occasional blood worm.So Im sure thats not it
I dont have a filter sadly it broke and I dont have the funds to buy another
I dont use lotion XD
Definitely not anything dead XD otherwise Id be concerned since hes alone.
Tank cleaning happens once to twice a week with a 50% water change every week either way. I vacuum the gravel every week too to keep down on fishie waste.
We do have a heater in our room but Im going to guess since its been here so long and it hasn't had a problem with the tank so far o_0
And we dont do air fresheners unless this oil is caused by the odor of College Dorm :p heheh
Ill definitely try the gloves while cleaning the tank bit though!And the paper towel bit! I never thought about that!
Hmmm I think I answered everything? Any ideas or conclusions?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Sounds like everythings good! It seems like it's because you don't have a filter, so the water isn't getting aggitated and the oil is coming from natural causes/the fish- I've had oil residue from my 1.5g before- it didn't have a heater and I did about the same amount of water changes/cleaning you did and didn't overfeed him or anything.... When I got my 5g, I never had the problem because it had a filter- then I had to add a baffle, which I noticed after a while there was a bit of oil build up where there were 'dead spots' (the filter wasn't quite reaching that part of the surface). I turned the 5g into a NPT, so it doesn't have a filter, just the plants.. Still has oil build up occasionally, but I know it's more or less from my fish and probably my snail, too.... but yeah, that being said, I don't think you need to worry about the filter since your fish seems fine, but if you still feel the need to be cautious, then what I said before should help... Otherwise, it's just natural oils being produced by your fish. How big is your tank, btw?
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #5 
ChibiShishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug Isilme View Post
Sounds like everythings good! It seems like it's because you don't have a filter, so the water isn't getting aggitated and the oil is coming from natural causes/the fish- I've had oil residue from my 1.5g before- it didn't have a heater and I did about the same amount of water changes/cleaning you did and didn't overfeed him or anything.... When I got my 5g, I never had the problem because it had a filter- then I had to add a baffle, which I noticed after a while there was a bit of oil build up where there were 'dead spots' (the filter wasn't quite reaching that part of the surface). I turned the 5g into a NPT, so it doesn't have a filter, just the plants.. Still has oil build up occasionally, but I know it's more or less from my fish and probably my snail, too.... but yeah, that being said, I don't think you need to worry about the filter since your fish seems fine, but if you still feel the need to be cautious, then what I said before should help... Otherwise, it's just natural oils being produced by your fish. How big is your tank, btw?
Oh thank god he isnt being poisoned Ill have to scrounge some money together for a filter
Per dorm regulations hes in a 3 gal but Im hopefully going to sneak a 5 gal in for him!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #6 
SacredSeaMonkey

I noticed I have this issue too. Doesn't look like oil but its a thin film that coats the entire surface of the water in the tank. Some dust looking particles and a random hair? I normally do not put my fingers into the tank unless I am cleaning it. I clean it once a week and in the process of switching different gravel vacs, my first and last one zapped up majority of the water before I was finished with the gravel. When I cleaned the plants and heater under "hottish" water it had a film on it that made me think it was algae?? Anyways, my fish doesn't seem affected by it but its a thorn in my side, any suggestions besides the paper towel??
SacredSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote