Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #1 
Arroyo1291

Correct living conditions?

Hello all,

I recently had a veil tailed betta I was very attacked to. Unfortunately he died from what I believe was rot tail and I decided to up my aquarium standards before my next betta. I now have what I believe to be a young king crowntail betta named Sushi. (he's no bigger than 3 inches or so) and wanted to ask if my aquarium is set up correctly for my new fish's longevity.

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, gravel, a light I keep on for no more than 4 or 5 hours at a time and some fake plants. His water is constantly fluctuating between 76-82 degrees. When changing his water I add half a teaspoon of the zyme (the thing that makes tap water safe) and about a quarter teaspoon of the stress coat. Lastly I throw in about 3/4 to a full teaspoon of aquarium salt. Is this more or less a correct set up or am I setting him up for something horrible?

Also just to throw in I notice that he likes to hide behind the filter. Is this normal? In order to feed him I usually have to remove the filter temporarily just so he can see the food. He eats with no problems and swims around occasionally but likes to spend about 75% of his time hiding behind the filter in the corner. Just wanna make sure my little buddy isn't already showing symptoms of anything.

Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any feedback at all.
Arroyo1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 
kfryman

Get him off aquarium salt. That can actually damage his organs and cause failures. Slowly acclimate him back to non salted water. The longest aquarium salt should be used is 10-14 days. The actual setup seems fine. Just be prepared to do at least 2 water changes a week. The only reason why I don't like my 2.5 and will probably take it down after a while.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #3 
Arroyo1291

really? I wasn't aware of that with the salt. I was told it kept certain infections from occurring. should it only be used when they are sick and recovering or something?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 
Arroyo1291

also those 2 water changes. will they be 100% of the water or less than that? sorry for the all the questions
Old 02-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 
Zappity

Like kfryman said, get him off the salt. It should only be used when they are sick/injured. If you constantly use it, he builds up an immunity to it so when he really needs it it won't work. You add in 3/4 tsp everytime you change the water? If you're only changing 50% of his water, you will eventually make it saltwater. Do a 100% water change and do NOT add any salt. Acclimate him to that slowly.
Is your filter baffled? If it isn't, that's why he's hiding behind it. In a tank that size, you really don't need a filter. I'd suggest removing it and doing 1 50% water change and then 1 100% water change a week.
Fluctuating temps aren't good either. Does he have a heater? If he doesn't, I'd suggest getting one to keep the temp stable.
Otherwise, you're doing everything right :) Have fun! And watch out, once you get the betta bug, it's hard to get rid of it ;]
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 
kfryman

Yup, o agree to what all Zappity said.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7 
Arroyo1291

Ah thank you for clearing up the salt business I'm glad I learned that. As for the filter i don't know the name but it's the kind that rests at the surface and has a wool like cartridge inside I change every now and then. After passing through the cartridge the water drops back into the tank. You think it's doing him some kind of harm?
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #8 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroyo1291 View Post
Ah thank you for clearing up the salt business I'm glad I learned that. As for the filter i don't know the name but it's the kind that rests at the surface and has a wool like cartridge inside I change every now and then. After passing through the cartridge the water drops back into the tank. You think it's doing him some kind of harm?
No, not harm, it's just the current from that filter (Sounds like you have a HOB, aka Hang On Back) is pushing him around, so he's hiding behind it where it won't push him. Bettas don't need filters as long as you do proper water changes.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #9 
Arroyo1291

Ah I see now. Thank you all so much for the great advice! Much appreciated
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroyo1291 View Post
Ah I see now. Thank you all so much for the great advice! Much appreciated
No problem ;]