Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #1 
trypanosoma

Unhappy Purifying water

Hi everyone. I went through the faq prior to this and apologize if I am repeating a post. I've had my male Betta for 10 months now and he acts happy and eats like a pig. However, his fin rot won't go away and I want to ask if I am doing something wrong as far as water goes. He is in a 5 gallon hex tank with a filter and heater. All decor has been tested to make sure that he can't hurt himself when he swims by them. What I do when purifying tap water is add Seachem Prime and some stress coat for the rot. I also add aquarium salt to the tank. When I first got the prime, it got the job done by purifying the water by the next day. (I use the solutions kit to test.) However, now the water is still contaminated even after purifying with prime. Does it expire w/o me knowing? The company said it doesn't. How do you purify your water? Do you add salt each week with each water change? I add once a week and have been buying petco freshwater because my tap water isn't purifying.

Also, he got like a bruise on his forehead. He is a dark blue Betta and the bruise looks much darker, almost gray/black. Not raised, looks more like a scar. Am afraid it will get infected more along with the fin rot. Please help!
trypanosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #2 
chrissylee13

whats the tanks temperature at?

and what do you mean by "purifying" the water? do you mean getting rid of any metals or toxins in the water?

and for treating fin rot i just use AQ salt and API stress coat (i use this as my conditioner). 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water. and do 100% water changes everyday. but don't treat with salt for more than 10 days.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #3 
trypanosoma

It's set at 82 degrees but my thermometer says 80 degrees. Yeah, I meant removing all impurities and testing to make sure that pH is fine along with no ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc. I'mafraid of doing 100% water change everyday when my tap water still has high nitrates and nitrites even after 24hrs of adding the API stress coat and prime. I'll just stick to the stress coat and see what the numbers show tomorrow. Thanks for the help, esp with the AQ salt. :)
trypanosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #4 
chrissylee13

okay no prob! hope it gets better. water sucks sometimes. :p
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote