Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #1 
NewFishyOwner

Would a Snail be good for my Female Betta in her 5 gallon tank?

I was wondering if a snail would be a good companion for my betta fish in her 5 gallon tank. also what kinds of snails can i get, what food would they need or would they eat whatever she does not eat? I was thinking a snail would be a good companion for her and I actually like the idea of a snail in the tank. Please guys let me know if it is a good idea for her tank size, I also have to think about if they will be friends I hope so she has been by herself for almost 2 months and 6 days and so many changes I just want to know my options for a companion but I would not be getting it till mych later I think she needs some time to adjust more to her new enviroment first.
NewFishyOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 
SDragon

I am also curious. I have a male in a bowl right around that size.
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

First off, do bear in mind that she is not lonely. If you get a snail, it's for you, not for her.
If you do get a snail, I suggest a nerite. They stay smaller than mystery snails and won't breed in fresh water like ramshorns or malaysian trumpets. They eat algae, algae wafers and any feed your girl misses.
Another option is shrimp. They have a smaller bioload but some bettas will eat them.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote