Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #1 
BeRadGeeYo

Talking Little Gill =)

Hi guys! I'm so glad to be on here! Nice to see I can get help from a lot of people!

Anyway, I am currently a college student and I work as a CA/RA in my building! I decided to get a little roommate! We were at Wal Mart and his tail looked all beat up and his little eyes just got to me! So I bought him and brought him home in a little tank with an anemone.

Anyway I got him last Friday and he seems to be a bit more active and his tail (which I think suffered from tail rot) looks so much better already! I've cleaned his tank the first time, using the drips to purify the water, and I recleaned it last night. He hasn't been eating at all and it has me a bit worried. I know it takes a bit for them to start eating being in a new environment but I would feel so much better if he ate!

He also tends to lounge around a bit especially in the plant. He did just swim around the bowl a good amount though and I snapped the picture that's my avatar! I just want him to eat though because the food pellets do dirty his water and sink to the bottom and I can't get them with the net. So to keep his water nice and clean I decided to clean it out every Monday and Friday! He also seems to get a bit more social when I walk in the room too. I never knew they were full of such personality!

If someone could tell me how to get him to eat or just to give me some nice pointers I'd love to hear it!

And I also try to put the pellets by his face when he comes up for air when he sees them!
BeRadGeeYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It can take bettas a while to adjust to a new home. How big is the bowl, and what is the temperature? Remember that bettas need temperatures between 78F and 82F for optimum health. If the water is less than 75F, you'll often notice bettas being sluggish, less colourful and much less willing to eat.

What sort of pellets are you feeding? Bettas can be picky eaters. If you have the cash to spare, try tempting him with a treat like bloodworms, daphnia or brine shrimp (very few bettas can resist live foods, especially).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #3 
BeRadGeeYo

His tank is about a galloon. And I had a resident help me with the water because she has a betta too so we've been doing the finger test. I'm going to go get a thermometer soon though! Also where would I get the live food at? I'm in a small town and all I really have is a wal mart, so I'll have to do some searching if they don't normally have them. I'm also feeding him tetrabetta pellets!

Last edited by BeRadGeeYo; 02-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

The finger test is very inacurate - sometimes my tank feels cold, others really warm, even when it is always 80F. It is very dependent on air temperature and the temperature of your skin as to water the water feels like to you. I suspect you will probably need a heater as well as a thermometer. Members on here with smaller tanks will be able to recommend a safe one for your tank size. :)

You can get live food by leaving a clean bucket of water outside during warmer months, where mosquito will lay their larvae. If it's cold, though, you might be a bit stuck, unless you are able to order it online. Does Walmart sell bloodworms, either frozen or freeze-dried?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

For a heater I have the tetra walmart brand. I say get it I use it in my 1 gallon while it's not the greatest it does the job and is inexpensive. And I find it keeps the 1 gallon at a stable temperature. Walmart also has inexpensive thermometers.
Yes walmart does sell freeze dried bloodworms you could try those.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #6 
BeRadGeeYo

Okay! Thanks so much! I'll be making a trip out there very soon then!