Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 AM   #1 
Zorra

Is this Fin Rot?

I think I'm going to cry. Jupitor and I just can't get a break from all these problems.

Jupitor is a blue betta that I got in Nov 2011. He's living in a 2.5-3gal half-moon betta tank with filter. I have a submersible heater with temps between 76-78 degrees. He eats betta flakes once or twice a day, I have an LED light that is sometimes on but doesn't heat the water. There are no live plants or playmates. I have not put anything in his water but Betta Fix and Prime water conditioner. His last water change was 80% (without gravel vac) about 7-10 days ago with a 20% water change 5 days ago. He has a history of parasites, and possible internal infection. He's been cleared of desease for about 2-3 weeks. (Information is posted in my other threat under this same section.)

Jupitors tank is located on the floor and there's not very good lighting in here, so even with his colored light on, it's difficult to see him very cuz of the colors in my tank. However, I noticed a few days ago that he seemed to be getting paler around the face and that his tail seemed sorter. I've been helping my mother move and have not been home much to care and play with all my pets. I picked up some Jungle Fiz tablets that fix everything because it said it did tail rot. I've never seen tail rot on my fish before so this is new to me.

I found a small table that might be able to suport his tanks weight until I can find a proper stand so I came home last night and set up his small aquarium to store him in so I could do a 100% cleaning of his large tank. I let the water sit overnight with conditioner. I got home tonight just after midnight and placed him in it along with some betta fix. I took some images of him to post but am having problems sending them. So I'll have to post them later tonight once I fix the problem.

I took a good look at him. His fins are turning crusty and black at the ends, looking a bit ragged and torn. They are definintly a bit shorter. It's not just his tail, it's all but his arms. He's also gone completely white, not like a nice silver white, but pale, ghost like white under his chin and the sides of his face look pale and one spot looks like it's caving in or rotting or something but it's mild. He's eating, he's active, he's toying with his reflection a lot. He's in the quarent tank with no rocks or decorations and I'm wondering if I should leave him in it and use the fiz tablets, or if I should treat the regluar aquarium once I've cleaned it and put him back in that. Also, should I try salts first? Is the rot an open wound? I don't want to hurt him with salts if so. Please help!
Zorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #2 
Zorra

sorry just to clearify, he's not white all over, just around the side and underside of his face to his chest. The rest is still blue. I don't normally go this long without changing his water but up until a short while ago, he lived in the little tank. I've just not been home to do anything lately.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #3 
Zorra

Erm, managed to get the images off the phone and onto the computer but now it's saying I need a url link to display my images, which would mean I'd have to create a website. Is there another way to load an image to this board?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #4 
earthworm88

Yes, normally I just click on the little clip symbol for attachment, and then browse through the computer for the photo you want to upload, then upload.
Ah...I see what you mean. Sorry I am not that savvy when it comes to this stuff. What I said above only works when you first create the thread in the beginning. I have seen members upload their photos to photobucket.com type of websites and then attach the URL. Sorry can't really help you with that.

As for your issue with your betta. Do you have a hospital tank like 1 gal or so, with bare bottom? I would suggest for now, take him out of all that bettafix, gravel etc and just give him super clean water with only your Prime conditioner. Sounds like he may have fin rot if you are seeing blacken edges on his fins. Aquarium salt is the most basic conservative treatment which usually take care of it unless there is secondary infections. If heat is an issue inside your house, then put him in something smaller so that you can float him by clipping it to the side of your current tank to maintain the same temp. I would suggest wait a day free of meds and then administer the aquarium salt. Unless you can post the pictures here so we can see the severity of his problem and change the treatment plan accordingly. If you can fill out the sticky (I know you already disclosed a lot), as it is easier for others who read the info easily.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Last edited by earthworm88; 02-09-2012 at 06:02 AM.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 
Laki

HI, sorry about your fish. earthworm covered the basics and I hope they can do something to help.
You really want to treat him aggresively. I would suggest never using bettafix again (it contains tea tree oil which can damage a bettas labrynth organ), keeping up on cleanings and giving him better light. I prefer natural light but Bowser mostly gets artificial from my desk lamp and overhead lights because we're in a basement apt.
I would treat with aquarium salt in the small tank floating in the larger one as earthworm sugested.
I am also a huge advocate for the use of Indian Almond Leaves. You can buy them dirt cheap on ebay. They have antibiotic and antifungal properties and you can use them all the time for maximum benefit. I have been using them for months now and just positive results :)
You can post pictures from selecting the "attachement" button from the little banner in the reply box.
Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #6 
Zorra

Here are some images of Jupitor. They're a bit blurry because he doesn't like the camera and I'm using a camera phone. I took these yesterday after placing him in a fresh tank of water. I'm concerned about his fins and I'm concerned about the white coloring around his face and neck. He's always had a white/silver look there but this is really different and it's not fuz. However, it did seem to clear up a bit and return to a more normal color after a day in the new water. I'll attach a sticky form as requested in the following post.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #7 
Zorra

Housing
What size is your tank?
He's got a topfin 3.5gal tank but has been moved to a 1.5gal holding tank for treatment.
What temperature is your tank?
about 76 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Betta Fish Flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once or twice a day depending on his appitite and my availabilty.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
I only recently got the tank and filter so still testing it. For the new tank water changes are: A complete water change about once every two weeks. Part water change once or twice a week as needed. I don't have a gravel vac yet to help keep the bottom clean.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
I try to change 65-100% of the water each time. Was neglectful this past week or so due to assisting my mom with a move so I didn't change all of it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
I add Prime Water Conditioner for Betta's.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No, I have to take my water to a store to be tested and haven't had time, don't live very close to one. Last time it was tested about three weeks ago when new tank was set up. It was fine at the time.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His fins have shortened and look ragged, excluding the arms. They seem to be darkening at the edges and tearing/rotting slowly away. He's become very white under the chin and around the face but not fungus.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He's clamping his fins as if they hurt him but otherwise he's normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About three/four days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I've placed him in fresh conditioned water with two drops of betta fix to fight infection and fed him. I have not given him medications or salt yet, waiting to see what images reveal to a more experanced person. He's getting a 100% water change every two days.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Yes. He's a blue fish and prone to it it seems. Never with fin problems before.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I'd say under a year. I got him from Walmart in Nov/Dec 2011.

Last edited by Zorra; 02-10-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #8 
earthworm88

Thanks very much for the photos and answering the sticky.

From the photos, it looks like he had been nibbling at his own caudal tail. This could be due to a variety of reasons (no one really know for sure); boredom, stress, poor water quality, heavy finnage, etc.

If you see blacken edges around the torn area, then he may have fin rot. Most members here would not recommend the use of any of the medicines that ends with "fix" as they contain tea tree oil which is speculated to be harmful to their labyrinth organs. My take on this is there are other meds out there that are same or better, so I would not use them unless that's the last resort.

For fin rot, the most conservative and easiest treatment is aquarium salt treatment. Dissolve 1 tsp of AQ salt in 1 gal of preconditioned water, add API stress coat or SeaCheam Stress Guard if you have, or Indian Almond Leaves (IAL) if you have, then leave your betta in there for 24 hours. Everyday, the treatment solution must be remade with the above and repeat for the next 10 days.

As for your current water change schedule, if you are not cycling the tank, the general guideline for that size tank is to do 50% water change mid week and 100% water change end of week (including vac) to avoid the accumulation of toxins over time.

The whitish change that you mentioned is common when a dark colored betta is stressed due to environmental reasons or sick for any reasons. Sometimes it's just the chin and underbelly, sometimes even the anal fin is pale (with redish hue showing close to body), and in more severe cases, the entire body can become pale and clamped.

So I think he may have reacted to the water quality and possibly boredom that he started nibbling on his tail. It's hard to know, but the best we can do is to make sure the water is super clean, ward off the infection while the fin regrow, and redecorate his tank often to keep him interested. Try to feed him a variety of food including high protein food like frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp to help with the fin regrowth.

Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #9 
Zorra

I'm gonna get him some of those blood worms as a treat and mix his meal up a bit. He's got a lot of colorful plants and color changing lights that he likes to play in and he toys with the cats. After filling out the sticky, I put a tad bit of AS in the water just to be on the safe side. I'll keep him quarientied in the small tank during his AS treatment for the next 10 days as sugested, he's improving in color already. Thanks!!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:29 AM   #10 
earthworm88

That's great! Oooh...they love blood worms! The frozen kind come in a tray of cubes (I don't feed freeze dried kind or live kind). What I do is cut the cube into smaller cubes and just leave a small piece in room temp to defrost as the whole cube will be way too much if you are only feeding one betta. Keep the rest back in the freezer. The defrosted one can be kept in the fridge (sealed well) for a day or two. I try not to keep it for 2 days as they get a bit stinky plus I have a few to share so that little chunk can be finished in no time

Keep us posted!
Cheers