Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #31 
holden147

Here is the little guy doing the rolls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPZ0y...ature=youtu.be

It's almost like he knew what I wanted him to do and was showing everyone lol. Love my little fella.
holden147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #32 
holden147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Good to hear his eye is better.....

Have you tried different food, lacing food with fresh crushed garlic juice-do you have access to live food like mosquito larva to offer-sometime live food will stimulate hunting feeding instinct....

Can you post a video of the barrel roll....
Once again, thank you for your help.

I've tried pellets and flakes, but no mosquito larva (I live in Ohio and we just had a blizzard so I'm not sure where I could even find it?). And I can look for some garlic juice - maybe Giant Eagle will have it. Does brine shrimp count as a good substitue? I feel like I could get that at Petsmart.

As you can see in the video, his eyes are back to normal, so I feel like he's making progress, I just want him back to the happy, energetic Perseus I love.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #33 
Oldfishlady

Oh my......how long has he been doing that......sadly, that is either a death roll, hypoxia or CNS (central nervous system) related due to damage or parasites that has infected the CNS...sometimes it can be nitrite but usually the gill flap will be sticking out and gills will look brown....what kind of additive are in the water and what is the water temp....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #34 
holden147

Quote:
Oh my......how long has he been doing that......sadly, that is either a death roll, hypoxia or CNS (central nervous system) related due to damage or parasites that has infected the CNS...sometimes it can be nitrite but usually the gill flap will be sticking out and gills will look brown....what kind of additive are in the water and what is the water temp....
He's been doing that for a couple weeks now (Since we first noticed he's sick).

His water temp is about 79 degrees. His water contains the IAL leaves (started yesterday) and Seachem Prime as well as 3 tsps of Epsom Salt (we have two 1 gallon tanks so we just switch him everyday). I make sure the water is pre-treated and everything. The ammonia levels are fine. I just don't know what else to do for him.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #35 
Oldfishlady

In that case...it may be CNS related-parasite or even a tumor on the brain or spinal cord....if he seems to be suffering you may need to do what is right by him-not a lot can be done short of taking him to a vet and even then treatment would be limited...sorry I couldn't be of more help.....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #36 
holden147

Quote:
In that case...it may be CNS related-parasite or even a tumor on the brain or spinal cord....if he seems to be suffering you may need to do what is right by him-not a lot can be done short of taking him to a vet and even then treatment would be limited...sorry I couldn't be of more help.....
It's ok. Thank you very much for your help. He doesn't seem to be suffering, just seems very lathargic. So, in your opinion, this is the end?

What's the best way to..end it? I heard clove oil works.

This sucks.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #37 
Oldfishlady

The most humane method is often the hardest for some hobbyist-that being decapitation with a sharp knife or destruction of the head with a hammer or heavy object while the fish is wrapped in paper.

Another method is to freeze them-I like to start with cold water in a small solid colored disposable container like a plastic cup or tin can-using foil as a lid-I place the fish in the ice cold water, cover quickly and place in the freezer-not checking on them for 24h-then properly disposing of everything by either bury, burn or place in the trash...

When the fish is placed in the ice cold water they go into shock and usually will die within seconds-its fast and as painless as death can be IMO-remembering that due to limited perception of fish in not being able to feel pain the way we do-
Sometimes we still need to do things that make us feel better about it so we can sleep at night...and nothing wrong with that...we are human with the ability to feel empathy for other living creatures regardless if they can feel or perceive it or not....
Old 02-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #38 
holden147

Well at about 6:30pm Perseus passed on. I used the clove oil method. He slowly drifted off to sleep and I let him rest there. Boiled some water and he was gone. I've read that it's instant and he didn't jerk around or anything so I think it was time. Thanks everyone for your help. I feel like we gave him a good life. Now onto the search for King Perseus II to fill the hole in our little fish tank. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #39 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden147 View Post
Well at about 6:30pm Perseus passed on. I used the clove oil method. He slowly drifted off to sleep and I let him rest there. Boiled some water and he was gone. I've read that it's instant and he didn't jerk around or anything so I think it was time. Thanks everyone for your help. I feel like we gave him a good life. Now onto the search for King Perseus II to fill the hole in our little fish tank. Thanks everyone.
So sorry to hear your Perseus had passed on. You had done a great job with the advice OFL had given. Thank you for posting the video, I have never seen anything like that, and I learned something valuable today. Good luck with your next betta keeping experience!

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote