Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #1 
USNavyWife

Question Need Some Advice Please :)

I have a beautiful veiltail male betta that I had purchased within the last month or so. He's a multi colored mainly pink and blue with some purples and deep reds. His name is Dinq pronounced (Dink) which in Navy terms means Delinquent in Qualifications. He was named that because my husband was going through Navy Nuclear School and was getting qualified so he was known as being "Dinq". I was lonely and couldn't have pets technically so I got a fish :)

I am knowledgeable on guppies since i bred them, but any bettas I had before I had when I was younger and they lived long happy lives. Now I have Dinq and I want to give him the best life I can seeing as he's like my son.

Right now Dinq is in a 1.5 gallon tank with aeration and a plastic plant. I know he's gotta be bored because I've never seen a betta as active as he is. He's always interacting with me. He comes up to the tank when I go by. He's curious and loves the bubbles from the aerator. I think he's a little obsessed. He eats like a horse (bettamin medley flakes-- he doesn't like pellets) and gets treats of freeze dried bloodworms on occasion. He also dances with you when you bob back and forth infront of the tank. He follows you by swimming like you dance. Everyone loves him when they come over. Sailor friends post about him and spend a lot of time watching him when they come over because he's completely comical.

We recently moved to Groton and I even brought friends who love him to hold him in the Jeep when we had to move. He was the last one in the car and first one in the new house. He's super spoiled and loved :)

We are probably going to be moving again but I really want him in a 10 gallon. I have 2 10 gallon tanks. 1 1.5 and 2 1 gallons. A 10 gallon was given to me, one I already had, and 2 1 gallons I had fry in when I was raising guppies several years ago before getting married.
Now comes cleaning...
I am nervous about bleach. I do not want to hurt him but my old 10 has some white scum and I know the filter had some white fungus or mold growing. I am trying to clean it all up and scrape some of the scum off. I'm using some aquarium salt mixed into the warm water and paper towels as that's what I used to clean with. Sponges scare me too. I guess that's all I can use? Recommendations?

Also I was going to jumpstart the tank with the old substrate rocks in his tank for the Bio filter. By the time I actually get the tank set up cycle wise, I think we might be moving again, unfortunately. However, I notice in the hex tank he's in, he sees himself a lot and is always chasing himself. He doesn't flare but he swims rapidly up and down at the reflection. I'm worried he's bored and the tank is too small for his active personality and basically he might be over stressing himself? That's the last thing I want seeing as I've read that over stress could lead to sickness and I'm sure constantly attacking his reflection doesn't help. I have some old tank stuff like plastic plants and I got this medium sized cave with little tiny plants on it. The holes are large enough for him to play through but the actual cave itself wouldn't hog the tank. Any recommendations as to my situation? Should I just keep him in the tank he has? Or should I move him to the big tank after its clean with the rocks to seed it? (I know his tank levels are in good condition because he had a water change last night and I have a master test kit which I use to check his current tank each week. I just want Dinq happy and healthy. Any input would be amazing! Thanks in advance!
USNavyWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #2 
USNavyWife

Oh forgot to mention that he does also have a heater and its kept around 78. I also have spare heaters as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Activity doesn't mean he is bored. It means he is healthy and doing well. :) That being said, I would never advise against an upgrade. :p He certainly sounds like he would thrive in the extra space.

Bleach will be fine to clean it. Just use one part bleach to nine parts water and rinse super well afterwards. :) You can also use baking soda, or so I've heard. I'm not familiar with that method myself, though.
Whatever you have in the 1.5, move to the ten for seeding. With a few extra water changes, a betta can easily tolerate a fish-in cycle, especially since you have a test kit to let you know when the water needs changing. :)

Good luck with all your moving - I'm the daughter of a Royal Marine turned Australian Navy, so I know all about that. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 
USNavyWife

Thanks so much for the input :)

I have the tank clean (for the most part, I am working on the hood as we speak) and all the clean new rocks are in and everything is set up. The tetrasafe in in there as well and the filter has been running for the majority of the day. I'm just waiting for some of the bubbles in there to settle and I'm working on moving his old rocks in, but I don't want to freak him out, so I'll just add him and scoop the rocks in and move them in there when I move him in. I can't wait to see how he will do.

I will certainly keep an eyeball on how things turn out. I can't see the tank getting too out of whack with just 1 betta taking up all 10 gallons himself he doesn't leave hardly a flake behind when he eats (so I don't have to worry about overfeeding). But, I guess that's what most people say and then just never take care of it. At least I think with moving I will be able to take the rocks out and put them in the little tank so I can ship him again when we move. We might be going to California this time from CT, so he'll have a long move, but I couldn't go if he couldn't. I love him way too much <3

I'm sure you know how it is to move then, in the past 2 years I've moved 3 states. MD to PA, PA to NY, and NY to CT. It's been hectic!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I don't speak state abbreviations. :( What are they? :p
Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #6 
USNavyWife

Ah that's right, you're not USA. OOPS.

Maryland to Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania to New York, and then New York to Connecticut. :)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Oooh. *looks at map* You guys have been up and down a bit!

We went UK (Devon, then Exeter, then somewhere else), Australia (Northern New South Wales), UK (Somerset, then Dorset), Australia (Sydney, then ACT). But that's been in the 20 years since I was born. Nothing except moving a couple of suburbs down in the last 2 years, thank goodness. :)

Tags
active betta, moving betta, new tank, toys