Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Other than the cloudy eye....how is he acting and eating.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #12 
mathkid

Just a picture update. He is still quite active in his QT.

* It almost looks like there's a cloudy film *over* his eye.
* From above, the eye doesn't look swollen much, if at all.
Attached Images

mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #13 
mathkid

Hi OFL! Thanks for looking!

He's been acting fine, as far as I can tell. I just fed him his pellets and he gobbled them up. Yesterday was a daphnia/bloodworms day and he was happy about that too.

He's sort of obsessed with his QT walls - keeps swimming back and forth near them, sometimes he looks like he's trying to get *out*. Can fish see their reflection in the glass?

He's kind of hyper, actually. Lots of swimming. Except for the time with all the camera flashes, he's never clamped up his fins.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Sorry I should have ask all of this to start.....

This is a 5gal tank-need to know-filter, live plants, how much and how often are the water changes, water temp, type of additives used, appetite, any tank mates, how long have you had him, if new, how did you acclimate him, if you have had him for a while-has he ever been sick and/or treated in the past 2 weeks...
Old 02-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #15 
mathkid

Here's the info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 5gal
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none- well, there are small snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets (Zoo Med), frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, 3 pellets usually, sometimes bloodworms OR daphnia

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once/week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: low (near 0, hard to tell on the scale)
pH: -
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Cloudy film with slight fuzziness on one eye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change, he acts fine
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yesterday, switched to QT with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only got him 1 week ago, so no
How old is your fish (approximately)? =(

ETA:
Oh- live plants are 1 anubias and a few pennywort, watersprite, water wisteria. I've had some trouble with algae, and there's been white hair algae growing on the roots of the plants (at least, that's what I think it was). Could it have actually been bacteria/something bad for him?
Attached Images

Last edited by mathkid; 02-09-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #16 
mathkid

FYI - here's a video of how he's behaving. You can see a bit of him trying to swim "out" at 1:05. This seems pretty normal for him - sometimes he swims a little more frantically than this, but not by much. He doesn't appear to be rubbing against the gravel or plants - only the glass. You can see how one eye is cloudy and the other black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ3A8ew0qBo
Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

What a pretty fella....nice find....

Since you have him in QT and started him on aquarium salt and no swelling at the eye and its just one eye....I would continue the salt and do a full 10day treatment.....be sure and attach the QT to the inside of the heated tank so it doesn't sink and you can maintain the temp.....

I would premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water and add Aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-Use this premixed Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today....he needs to stay in the QT and the Tx water during the treatment period....

Tomorrow start 50% water changes with the Tx water every day for 3 days-Then 100% on day 4...repeat this schedule for the 10days-
Then start 25% for 2 days using fresh like temp dechlorinated water.

Make a 50% water change on the tank and start using the tank water for 2 more days of 25% water changes to get him re-acclimated back to the tank water chemistry....the cycle should continue and/or hold on the filtered tank since it has live plants....

Since he is overall acting and eating okay and its just a cloudy eye-most likely cause if not injury related-can be nutrition related, flukes, sudden chemistry changes, improper acclimation to new chemistry or high nitrate from the pet shop to name a few common causes.....

If the eyes start to swell or he has a change in symptom-you may need to switch over the Epsom salt...

Nutrition-good quality varied diet and by the looks of your food list...you should be good-but if you have access to mosquito larva-offer a few rinsed for one meal a day to boost protein a bit.....

Keep us posted.....
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #18 
mathkid

Thanks OFL! He gets prettier every day =)

For clarification:
I was pretty sure I couldn't add AQ salt to the 5gal tank (because of the snails & live plants). I didn't want to float him in his cup for so long, so I moved him to a separate 2.5G tank (plastic plants) and added the salt water there. I moved the heater to that tank, which has been stressing me out because I'm terrified of the heater going wonky in such a small volume.

Today I picked up a hang-on container (it's about a 1/2 gal) and plan to hang that in the 5gal tank and do the rest of the salt treatment there. I'll feel much better when the heater's working with a filter in a larger tank. (I'm curious, though, how does the container keep the water temperature high enough when it isn't sharing water with the rest of the tank?)

So it sounds like the plan is:

Today: Move him into the hang-on container. In 15 min increments, do 25% 2tsp/gal water changes to gradually increase salinity from current 1 tsp/gal
~10 days - 50% changes for 3 days, 100% the fourth, keeping at 2tsp/gal salinity
2 days: gradually decrease salinity with 25% fresh water changes
2 days: gradually decrease salinity and accustom back to tank water with 25% tank water changes

Are those water change percentages still OK with a 1/2gal QT hanging inside the main tank? Or do I need to do larger changes in a smaller container?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #19 
mathkid

Picture update!

Sometime yesterday, it looked like something white and filmy "fell off" his eye - I could have been imagining it, though. At any rate, his eye is steadily looking better! Thanks for all the advice and help =)

Here's his bad eye now, with bonus picture of snail on outside of his QT!

For the record:
Feb 7th-ish - noticed cloudy/fuzzy eye, did ~60% water change
Feb 8th - moved to 2g QT with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 9th - moved to hang-in-tank 1/2gal QT, gradually changed water with 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 10th - 50% water change, 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 11th - 50% water change, 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
I use a pipette thing to get out the ickies during water changes.

-mathkid
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2012, 10:23 PM   #20 
mathkid

Oh no... relapse =(

Continuing from previously... here's the total salt treatment I did:

Feb 7th-ish - noticed cloudy/fuzzy eye, did ~60% water change
Feb 8th - moved to 2g QT with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 9th - moved to hang-in-tank 1/2gal QT, gradually changed water with 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 10th - 50% water change, 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 11th - 50% water change, 2tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 12th - 100% water change, 2sp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 13th - 50% water change, with 1tsp/gal aquarium salt
Feb 14th - 50% water change, fresh water
Feb 15th - 50% water change, tank water
Feb 16th - 50% water change, tank water (a.m. and p.m.) - released back into main tank that evening

I did a large water change (~80%) in the tank on the 15th - rinsed all the algae and such off the plants, redid some of the scape - in case some bacteria on the plants had been the cause...? But the cloudy eye is coming back! This time, there's a little bit on both eyes.

Sigh... I guess I cut the AQ salt treatment too early? But he really *hated* being in the 1/2 gal QT... he glass surfs even in his 5gal, and he glass surfed *all the time* in QT.

I did the chem tests again yesterday, and they were still fine - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 2 nitrates. Temperature is 79*, and I have a digital thermometer now, so I match the temperature closely when I do water changes. I did a 50% water change in the 5 gal today just to be safe. He's still active, eats normally, swims normally (except for his glass surfing habit).

My plan for now is to do the 50% water change every few days, keep testing the water, and see if the cloudy eye gets worse. What could be causing this?? Should I be feeding him differently? I rotate between Zoo Med pellets, frozen bloodworms, and frozen daphnia (in that order of frequency).

Tags
eye infection, popeye