Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #1 
Toryeva

BETTA Emergency!

Hey guys, you don't know me, but my fiance is Ajones108? I think that's her name on here, anyways, we have about 5 bettas, blah blah details.

She's in class for another 5 hours and I think this time may be crucial to the survival of our double veil male. He's in a split 10 gallon with a new betta that we recently acquired. Well guess who jumped the barrier? The new guy. What's worse is we weren't here to prevent it or anything. I got back here a bit ago and saw they were on the same side and cupped them both setting them back to their other sides.

Ash has about every kind of medicine for a fish known to man, I just don't know how to use them or set up a quarantine tank. I have a spare five gallon in the other room, a sufficient heater and filtration, but I have no idea what chemicals are needed. I know she says conditioner, but what's the actual product called?

new guy just jumped the barrier again, but I have our red fish cuppoed, so he can't do anything

HELP!
Toryeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #2 
Toryeva

Managed to pull apart a 2.5 gallon tank (no filtration due to size), clear it out, took some water from the 10 gallon that the red one was living in, filled it about half way, added a tea spoon of aquarium salt and a bit of fish protector, put the red betta in a breeding trap and transferred him.

I now have 2 bettas in bowls floating til Ash gets home to deal with this.

So stressed right now >.<
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Don't worry, I had two males get in together and one ended up with essentially no tail, no anal fin and lots of damaged scales. When I found him he was sitting at the surface of the water breathing heavily.

I didn't medicate and just fed him extra high-protein foods and kept him in clean water supplemented with IAL extract. Took a couple of months before he recovered a decent amount of finnage, but he never showed any problems beyond the initial 24 hours when I thought he would die.

Warm clean water, IALs, high-protein foods and maybe a treatment with Aquarium salt is all I usually recommend in these instances.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #4 
Toryeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Don't worry, I had two males get in together and one ended up with essentially no tail, no anal fin and lots of damaged scales. When I found him he was sitting at the surface of the water breathing heavily.

I didn't medicate and just fed him extra high-protein foods and kept him in clean water supplemented with IAL extract. Took a couple of months before he recovered a decent amount of finnage, but he never showed any problems beyond the initial 24 hours when I thought he would die.

Warm clean water, IALs, high-protein foods and maybe a treatment with Aquarium salt is all I usually recommend in these instances.
Thanks so much for the reassurance, he's doing pretty well for now as far as I can tell.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #5 
Ajones108

Thanks for replying LittleBettaFish. :) He texted me during my Biology Lab and was like OMG BLURAY JUMPED THE DIVIDER AND TORE UP AKANI!

Our DDeT Akani is big, slow, and definitely wouldn't be able to defend himself against a plakat. I had to step out of class with an "emergency" and call him to tell him exactly what to do. We had to move three bettas around because my other plakat was in my 2.5 gallon which I normally use for QT. He was SO stressed and even told me he posted on the forums, what a dear heart.

We've never had a betta jump the divider before and he's never dealt with the fish himself, so when he saw our poor torn-up and pale DDeT he was so shaken. He's in a 2.5 now half full of water with AQ salt and fish protector. He's already eating again, and he's going back into a 5g tank by himself tomorrow. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #6 
Myates

Aww.. poor fella(s), fish and boyfriend hehe :)

As mentioned before, no treatment needed if there is no open wounds- if just the tails are frayed then keep up on weekly water changes, a few drops of Stress Coat with regular water conditioner, and a high protein diet will help the regrowth.

Can lower the water level so it's a few inches lower then the divider, and/or place one cut on top to make a T to help prevent it as well.

Silly fish.. glad it was only ripped fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote