Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #1 
BettaFishLuver

Question 2 gallon tank...

Ok! So I am new at the whole filter and heater thing and I have a few questions! I have a short finned betta fish male that I just bought a 2 gallon bowl for with a live plant too! It has a waterfall filter, which is really cool, but it causes a lot of current! Is it alright to use it? It also has a LED light above it but I am not sure if this will bother him or not..

My other question is about a heater. Have any of you ever used the 10 watt Marina Submersible Mini Aqauarium Heater? If so, how is it? Also would it be alright for my 2 gallon tank?
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
Jrf456

2.5 gallons is the smallest that should be heated.. I hate to be ridiculous with the .5g think but it's true..

The light shouldn't be a problem, lights are mainly just for us.

Monitor his behavior with the filter and see if it bothers him. Sometimes bettas LOVE strong currents, and others can't stand even a low current. His behavior should be the key.

Good luck!
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #3 
BettaFishLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
2.5 gallons is the smallest that should be heated.. I hate to be ridiculous with the .5g think but it's true...
I know it is a little small I am sving up for a 10 gallon tank for him! I just want to give him the best I can! So from your post it would not be safe for a heater? If it is not is there another way I can keep his tank warm because my room is VERY cold!

Thanks for answering my other questions!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #4 
MistersMom

i would buy a heater that heats to a certain temp then shuts off until a cetain temp :)
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #5 
BettaFishLuver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
i would buy a heater that heats to a certain temp then shuts off until a cetain temp :)
Yup that is what it is [u]supposed[\U]to do but after reading the reviews I am kinda nervous now! That was why I was wondering if anyone had experience with it.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #6 
MistersMom

i had a 1.5 kritter keeper, maybe 2..... not sure, but i used 1 and it worked fine..... im not going to tell u its a good idea or that you should do it, im just saying it worked for me :)
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #7 
BettaFishLuver

I guess I'll test it out! Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #8 
a123andpoof

You can heat that fine! I heat my 1g and 2.5 and it stays stable. You should have no problem unless you get a bad heater.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #9 
AcrimoniousArbiter

When I had Cobalt QT'd this one actually heated a 1 gallon on the lowest setting:

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...8578838&sr=8-1
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #10 
Myates

A 2 gallon is perfectly safe to heat..
10-25 watt heater is ideal, better if it's adjustable. If not, when you do water changes replace the water with new water the same temp (78-80*F) or as close to it as you can so the heater doesn't have to work too hard.. sometimes the preset heaters will only heat to a few degrees above room temp, so you have to help it along by not making it work too hard. :)

Luckily you have a short finned fish- long finned you would want to baffle the filter..
Is that him on your avatar? It looks like a female from that picture.. unless it said plakat (even then they are often mislabeled).. hold a mirror up to him and see if his beard is big when he flares :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote