Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #1 
LurvMyCritters

Smile 10 gallon set up?

hello, i'm new to betta keeping, and was wondering if the set up i have in mind will be good for a betta. i have a 10 gallon tank with a small heating pad under it, temp read stays between 80-83 f. been running the aqueon quiet flow 10 for about a week now, was able to get some gravel from an established tank from a friendly pet store owner. i left the water level a little low when i started cycling the tank, and have been adding my betta's dirty water when i do his water changes, also add a few bits of flake food a day. i'm thinking of getting a half dozen or so black neon tetras and some ghost shrimp to add to the 10 gallon when the cycle is finished, then adding my betta last. he was an impulse buy but luckily i had an extra 10 gallon around (i actually keep reptiles, this is my first foray with fish) and the small heating pad. are the tankmates a good idea? i like the look of the black neons, and the ghost shrimp are nifty looking and will help keep the bottom of the tank clean
LurvMyCritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

the only problem i really see is the heating pad. (depending on where you live or how well heated your home is) with the temperature fluctuations it may not be reliable because bettas a pretty sensitive to water temperature or chemistry change.

but the ghost shrimp are a good idea. the neons you could try but i'd watch them really close. most neons i've ever had experience with are bad fin nippers of bettas.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote