Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #1 
MistersMom

wow. outrageous. any one have filter ideas?

i am the 'jack the ripper' of bettas..... 2 in one day!?!?! one my other females beat up, the other got stuck to the bottom of the filter stuck and drowned!!!!! its like i can't even go to school anymore without coming home to a deceased betta..... i shouldnt buy anymore...but i HAVE to..... i cant have a 3 fish sorority... my filter killed my prettiest betta ever.... and im so upset... please no one post any thing rude...just give me advice and tips... i told my mom to pick up some sponge on her way home for the filter.....but....where do i put the sponge?

so upset...
so upset...
sooo upsetttt....
poor little fishies....
R.I.P ChiChi and Bell :'(
i am sorry...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
Daisykd

What kind of filter do you have?
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #3 
MistersMom

sorta like this...
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

You can just purchase some filter sponge and put it around the intake of the filter. It's what I do with my HOB.

Are these the females you have housed together in a divided tank? You may need to separate them out, as you are probably seeing the repercussions of inappropriate stocking and housing.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
Daisykd

Oh that's almost like mine. I started off baffling it with a cut up gatorade bottle but the aquarium sponge I bought works much better. I just have it held on with a rubberband. What part did they get stuck to? Sorry you lost two fish.
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #6 
bahamut285

You could divide the sorority into 3 sections for the remaining girls instead of purchasing two more. There are risks with just bringing in two more girls, especially if they don't take too kindly to your current girls or vice versa.

Usually sponges go on the intake or the out-take
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd separate the girls seeing as they already have a mean streak to them.. don't want to risk more fish.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

When I move my fish to the bigger tank, I'll be putting some very fine mesh over the intake (just like the intake on your filter) to try and keep the Endlers and kuhlis out. Usually, though, a healthy, strong fish won't get sucked against a filter that way.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #9 
MistersMom

she was bullied a few days ago, they stopped but she had not been doing well sence...the tank is already divided, im saving up fr another ten gallo, i have mine divided 3 way, 2 1 gallon sections and one ...ehhh 8 gallon one i'd say, i have the sorority in the 8 gallon section.... the females stopped bullying it just wasnt doing good.....

my mom is going to buy a sponge on her way home... and thanks for saying sorry....

thanks for the filter tips also.... the females that died were little.... i think my filter is really strong.... im not sure how strong it should be... and as far as the 1 who was beat up....i honestly don't know for sure that thats what killed her.... it was just an intelligent guess :/
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #10 
bahamut285

This just sounds like a case of poor stocking if anything...

The girls NEED the 10 gallons no matter how mall of a difference 2 gallons is perceived to be. They probably bullied each other due to territory. If it was heavily planted with many hiding spaces as a sorority should be, that reduces the water volume substantially...so it probably wasn't 8 gallons even if you include decorations.

In any case, you could either just divide the 10 to support your remaining 5 fish (3 girls and I assume 2 males?). I personally don't suggest starting up a sorority any time soon again...
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote