Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Exclamation My Baby has Fungus and Stress Stripes

Paragraph Version:

As some of you may know, I brought home a new baby, Lily, from Petco about a month ago. At first she was very weak and sick, but since I started feeding her brine shrimp and given her a proper tank, she has perked up.

This after noon, I came home and I found Lily with stress stripes and fungus on her left gill. It's gray and fuzzy. She is usually very lively but today she is just lying next to her flower pot, and she won't move even when I moved the tank a little.

For a few weeks I kept her in my guppy tank, until the fry chewed off her tail (it's not infected- it's growing back). I put her in a breeding net where she got her dark coloring back and appeared happy. 3 days ago I bought her her own tank (2 gallons and a heater. Plenty of plants, sand and flower pots from previous tanks). Could the move have any thing to do with this new illness? It's the exact same water. Should I add in Aquarium salt? I have some on hand.

Quick Version:

Symptoms:

*Fungus on gill
*Severe Fatigue
*Stress Stripes

Habitat:
*2 gallon tank
*Heated, 78F
*Shrine shrimp, blood worms, occasionally crushed "betta flakes"
* Plenty of plants, as well as 2 flower pots and sand as substrate
-She came from the guppy tank, where her tail was eaten by fry, but it's healing back. She was in a breeding net until three days ago, when I moved her into her new tank.
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 
Fawnleaf

update:
I just put her back in the guppy tank in her heavily planted breeder net, away from the filter so that her water is still cleaned and circulated but there is no harsh current. If it's something in her individual tank, hopefully this will help. Should I add the aquarium salt?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #3 
Fawnleaf

Update:
She still has stress stripes this morning, but doesn't appear to be getting any worse. Is there some kind of medication for the fungus I should use?
Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 
ANHEL123

Hey how is Lily?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #5 
Fawnleaf

Hi ANHEL123

Lily is alright, but she still has the fungus on the side of her gill. Her coloring is back, now that I have moved her back to her old tank, but the fungus isn't going away. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

I would try aquarium salt. Do you know instructions on it? I do know medications but if LILY is eating and active i really would recommend aq salt first. Also don't make temperature too warm since fungus will get worse with warmer temperature.

Aquarium salt instructions:

Not sure how big is her tank? Usually you will put betta in the smaller container to make water changes easier. Pre mix 2 tsp/gall in the 1 gall jug. You can use a gall from spring water or even milk. If it from milk make sure you rinse it very well. Shake it make sure that salt dissolve. You will need to do 100% water changes every day for 10 days. Usually you don't use aq salt treatment longer then that it bad for the fish.

I hope it will help.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

The reason why salt recommended before medication is because it less harmful and less stressful then medications. So don't afraid to use salt if it necessarily.