Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 PM   #1 
emka

The Chateau log

So, since I've been lurking the forums for a couple of months now, and since things are progressing MUCH faster in my little fishy corner of the house than I expected, I figured it was high time I made a journal thread. Double duty - it'll help me keep track of all my tank plans, and it'll hopefully get me to socialize some more.

So to start the thread out and get it up to speed, here's the lil kiddo that started it all - Krampus. We picked him up December 9th --

-- and set his tank up with entirely silk and plastic plants plus a floating betta log.

I added a marimo ball on December 22nd --

-- and that's pretty much how the tank sat until last night, when a trip to Petsmart with the wife to see what kinds of easy-care plants I could pick up ended up with, er... way more than plants coming home with us.

I swear it wasn't my fault! Not that anyone believes me...
emka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #2 
emka

Not even a month after getting the first tank, the unthinkable happened - the wife, who I've been whining at about how it would be SOOO NEAT if I could get a tiny little tank to play with live planting, fell in love with a betta of her own!

I was futzing over the plants, and she kept going back to the betta display and cooing at the same cup over and over, and finally had to give up and admit she couldn't bear leaving him there for someone else to buy and not take proper care of. So, being a terrible enabler... er, good wife, I agreed to rescue him and bought the equipment to assemble him a last second home.

That's the product of "it's 10pm and I just want this betta out of this sad little cup" tank planning, lol. The next day I ended up transplanting Krampus's marimo into his cube to hopefully give his beneficial bacteria a jumpstart and tossed some java moss in. I haven't got anything to mount my java moss to at this point, so it's just kind of sadly floating in both tanks lol. It was also water change day for Krampus today so I took the opportunity to take out that big plastic plant from the center of his tank - I'm pretty sure it's what's responsible for a few fin rips - and replaced it with some more silk plants.

Sorry about the pigeon spikes in some of those images - we have a very curious kitten who's taking a long time to learn where she's not allowed. At least with the birdcages the inhabitants get a chance to help the lesson along with a few well placed bites - fish don't get that luxury. :<

Both tanks are definitely going to be big projects. Right now the little one's just a 1.5 gallon, instead of the 2.5 I had originally been hoping to get for a mini tank. I'll be slowly adding more live plants to replace the silk plants in there now and, depending on how well that goes, may just upgrade him to a larger cube anyways. My original intent on getting a mini tank was to get it totally planted and lush so it could be a little betta jungle.

The 10 gallon is also going to get a lot more work done - I'd like to get it more planted and once that's established, get some shrimps, and once THEY'RE established, see about getting a small school of something tiny in with Krampus. He's proving to be pretty chill about everything, hardly even caring to flare at mirrors, so he should do pretty well with some little rasboras. If I can find any - neither Petsmart or the Fish Gallery in town had any for me to look at. Hopefully that'll change as I move further along in developing the tank though.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #3 
EvaJupiterSkies

Lovely fish! Does your second betta have a name yet, or is he proving elusive to name?
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #4 
emka

He does have a name! I knew I forgot something, lol. He's Ienzo.

And he's in a new tank! The 1.5 ended up not working out so hot for him. The filter that came with it ended up not working so well since the suction cups kept detaching from the side of the tank and a couple times we came upstairs to find it making an awful noise and sitting lopsided. The final straw came when it sucked a piece of gravel up into the motor and ended up making a godawful noise in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT that sent both the wife and I shooting up out of bed and slamming into walls in our sleepy confused desperation to find the light switch and a cup to scoop the fish we expected to find on the floor, only to find that no tankshad been dumped over, the cats weren't even in the room, and it was just the dang filter. BLEAH. So, since he had been looking pretty cramped with his enormous butt in that tiny tank anyways, we made yet ANOTHER Petsmart run to find him a new tank. They were sold out of the 2.5 gallon cubes, so we ended up with a 3gal bowfront:

But oh, lord give me strength, I almost started crying in the middle of the store when we bought that, because I had been waging the most painful internal war over a gorgeous marbled blue and white plakat crowntail with a big injury on its back for an entire month... and he was still there. Here's how he looked back around when he had first arrived around Christmas, when we first got Krampus --

-- and, well, uh... look at him now.

I SWEAR I'M DONE. NO MORE TANKS. Someone punch me if I even try to look at fish for sale, this multi tank syndrome is killing my wallet!
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 PM   #5 
Betta Nut

haha.. I think a large number of us have said those words!

Love the "before and after"... Here's a betta in a cup! Here he is out of a cup! How did that happen?!?!

I never knew I had hoarder tendencies til I got into bettas. I throw out anything I haven't touched in a year. But with these guys, all I can think about is what I am getting next. It's soooooo hard to "just look"

Enjoy your boys, they are fabulous :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #6 
summersea

Welcome to being a Betta Addict! My family has just started giving me "The Look" when I even mention my fish or getting something else for then. But how can we deny those fishy faces?! Your boys are adorable. I particularly like your most recent rescue. With an injury like that no one else would have probably adopted him so kudos for you! I look forward to seeing how your tanks and boys progress!
summersea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:36 PM   #7 
Lucillia

Gorgeous tanks and fish so far!!! :D I have to admit I started laughing at the evil filter sucking up a piece of gravel. Its amazing the tiny things that will annoy you too! Congrats on becoming a betta obsessed... ahem.. Enthusiast! You'll enjoy your stay. :P
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #8 
emka

@Betta Nut: RIGHT!? I mean, I've always kept a messy home, but at least I've always been proud of my ability to easily get rid of stuff I'm not using and every ONCE in a while I can get a really good, thorough house cleaning in. Now I'm looking at the fish corner and counting the number of live inhabitants in our apartment and going "oops." At least I clean everything up BEFORE I add new fish in!

@summersea: Thanks! Yeah, the fish associate at our local Petsmart is a really good guy, he had taken incredible care of this kid the whole time he was in the store. That back wound is all healed up, all that's left is to grow scales back over it unless it ends up staying a scar. No idea how it happened, but at least he was in good hands for the recovery. And the guy was SO happy when he saw me carting him around looking for a tank to put him in lol. We've talked before, so he knows how good I am with fish (I take care of the koi stream in the Children's Zoo. I think everyone's a fan of my fish lol) so he was super eager to help us get exactly the tank we wanted and get that little guy a happy home.

@Lucillia: Oh my gosh, it wasn't a tiny thing! We honestly thought the cat had knocked the tank off the bookshelf and that was the sound of everything crashing and the filter sucking air. It scared the pants off me lmao. How the heck could one teeny tiny pebble in a teeny tiny filter be so LOUD!? I've managed to fix it at least, but man do I hope it doesn't happen again. My head finally stopped hurting from where I faceplanted into a doorframe in the mad rush to rescue a totally not even bothered fishy, oops.

And time for another update! We did another run to the fancy fish store and grabbed some more plants. I also found a request booklet there for if you want a certain kind of fish that's not in stock, and saw somebody's already requested micro rasboras. Yesssss! Get my cherry rasboras in stock!!

So the current tank arrangements are:
Still unnamed new boy in his 1.5 on the bookshelf (I'm leaning toward naming him Paarthurnax). Totally planted with java moss, regular and windelov java fern, and water wisteria. He's a HUGE fan of the java moss, and keeps curling up in it and playing with it.

Ienzo in his 3 gallon on the dresser, now with tons of live plants. I kept his favorite silk plant though, since he keeps building bubble nests off of it. He has a marimo, java moss, normal and windelov java fern, Bacopa caroliniana, and Amazon sword. Sorry about the bubbles, I took the photos right after finishing up planting and water changing.

And finally Krampus in his 10 gallon is getting some live plants built in! We've been waging a war with a piece of driftwood we bought that STILL won't sink, but hopefully some day it will actually manage to go in his tank for a centerpiece and we'll start getting to add some other inhabitants to the tank. The wife boiled it for at least two hours yesterday and it's still letting out a solid stream of bubbles. We'll get there eventually, but I'm impatient! Right now though he's just got a line of Bacopa caroliniana in the back and some spare windelov java fern that we didn't expect to get. Always a great day when you ask the guy in the fish store for two and you get four! It still wasn't enough to cover Krampus's whole tank, however, so he's still got a lot of silk plants in there too.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM   #9 
emka

Oh, and a new development - Krampus does NOT enjoy having neighbors!

"Wait... did something just move over there? What was that?"

"OMG MOMMMMMMM I DIDN'T SAY I WANTED A BROTHER PUT THAT THING BACK WHERE IT CAME FROM"

Needless to say, there are now visual barriers between Krampus's and Ienzo's tanks.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #10 
summersea

I am so glad to hear your LFS takes good care of their bettas! I haven't had the same luck and have actually had to send in complaints about my local PetsMart. At least your new boy is well on the mend! Your tanks are beautiful as well! I am going to be integrating some live plants into my own tanks soon so I like seeing how others do the same.

Edit: And I love the pics of Krampus flaring! It took my boys a little while to settle into their split 10g. Now they ignore each other and spend more time flaring at their own reflections. Silly boys
summersea is online now   Reply With Quote