Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #141 
shadowpony

Don't we just LOVE scam artists? I'd be so mad. Just livid.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #142 
Aus

Well, live and learn -- one of the moss pieces actually --arrived -- and

Sorry piece of rotten goop stuck a razor sharp bit of wire mesh. It went in the bin. Clearly, this company ought to quit shipping stuff overseas.. or at all.. anyway. Like I said, live and learn.

So -- an update!

My 3ft never arrived! It was weird.. the people said they'd deliver, sent me a message saying they were on their way -- and never arrived! I sent them a message, as I was having a nap at the time, but Irish was here and took other deliveries.. he didn't hear them knock, or anything.

I haven't heard a word back.. not a thing. Daughter thinks they were probably in a car accident. I hope not! (It was payment by COD, so no money was lost thank god).

So much for the 3ft! And I've ordered/been sent a 3ft planted tank's worth of plants!

Thankfully Cole's 10 gallon curved front is here!

It's set up with some nice aged potting mix and capped with sand. It has a heater.. and a sponge filter, as soon as I find a smaller, adjustable pump.. the one I got for the 3ft is too strong for it.

So far I've planted some maxilla and hairgrass I bought at the lovely LPS where I got daughter's ratty cage (no rat yet.. looking.. ) that I made a thread about because I was so impressed with their fish room in general. I also bought two healthy banana lilies.

I'm waiting on a stack of stem plants coming in the mail Monday/Tuesday, as well as some red tiger and green lilies and assorted anubias, crypts.. I have a LOT of those to go in, now. Mosses, and some frogbit. Java fern, too, the lovely needle leaf kind.. and some azolla from the lovely Aokashi (thanks!!! ) -- so many plants!

Cole will have a jungle! So that sponge filter will be good, methinks, for providing a little oxygen in there..

The water's been a tad cloudy, I don't think I washed the sand quite well enough. But water changes are helping there. Also, I'm not too worried as I'll be stirring things up when I plant as the parcels come in. Very eager for those stem plants..

Tomorrow I'm tying the anubias plants I got to the gold vine and planting the bigger crypts. And taking pictures! Though it looks a bit pathetic at the moment, ha.

I simply cannot stuff another plant in Cleo's tank, and will probably have to prune a few in the next week or two.

Demyx.. has a sudden, severe case of popeye. Despite his pristine -- pristine I tell you! -- water. That poor little fish. So he's in epsom to get the sudden, massive swelling down (one eye is almost out of his head, overnight, the other doesn't look good) and then I'm giving him another dose of antibiotic. I honestly think it may be too much for him, but I can't let him slowly degrade as he is.. not any more. We're all cheering for him, though. He's a little trooper, and such a sweetie. Still eating well (he loves his food, lol) but I noticed today that even in the low level of water he's in, he's truly struggling to swim at all, his regrown fins (not wholly healed by a log shot, but enough to provide resistance in the water) tangle around him when he turns and tip him left or right when he is still. I think if he'd grown to a proper size, it might not be so bad - but he's still only a tiny bit bigger than when we got him and he was just a tiddler then.

Or if his fins weren't so huge, on top of him being a weak, sickly little fish. Sigh. Fingers and toes crossed for Demyx.

Cleo is.. well, Cleo. She still hasn't managed to eat of any of the shrimp, which I can tell is annoying her no end. She'll sporadically go on a massive patrol of every nook and cranny she can reach, and ends up biting the plants in frustration. So funny.

Cole is.. I don't know. I don't know a lot about plakats, so I went looking around for information/pictures. What I discovered is that Cole doesn't look a lot like many of the plakats out there. For one, his dorsal fin is attached differently... where others have a fuller, fanlike dorsal fin, his is sort of.. U-shaped.

And compared to many, many other plakats out there, Cole is also.. butt ugly.

Well, -I- think he's very handsome, in a brutish kind of way. But he isn't true black, sort of a muddy mix of blue and brown, true brown when he stresses and stripes up. And his head - it's enormous! The booger jumped an inch out of the water to nip my finger today. He's massively aggressive, and in him I think I am seeing the true aggression which bettas are capable of for the first time.

Of course, I adore him. He's going to love having a bigger tank, I'm excited to get it all finished. Here's that pic of Cole again, just a tad bigger than life-size.. look at that dorsal fin. Have you seen one like it?
Attached Images

Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #143 
shadowpony

Haha. I'm a hothead, so yeah. Oh Cleo. Maybe you could get some freeze dried brine shrimp to satisfy her hunger for shrimpies :) Orrr it could majorly backfire and make her even more detemernied to catch the Z family... Nevermind XD.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #144 
Aus

Just the small amount of shrimp meal in the Z family's food pellets sends her off hunting them for an hour..

I can't wait for summer and the return of the mosquito larvae.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #145 
shadowpony

Lucky! I would love some for my boy. :)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #146 
Aus

It's not hard to 'culture' mosquitos. Stick a bucket out in the yard in some shade, half cover it with an old towel or bit of sacking and throw in a handful or three of dry leaves or even a chunk of old wood (make sure it's pretty old, like a year or two) as they like mucky black water with yummy gunk in it.

Then wait! Scoop out with nylon stocking stretched over a bent wire hanger. Voila! Betta snacks!

I'm not concerned about the larvae being 'mucky'. Fish exist on these things, they evolved to hunt and eat them, and better they're freshly gutloaded with algae than pristine and lacking in nutrient, IMO.

Last edited by Aus; 07-02-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:36 AM   #147 
Aus

Poor Wee Demyx

So I took some pics of the little feller..

He looks even worse, in this one, being cupped for a wc and not very happy about the camera flash, he's usually a lovely turquoise/blue.

Now, when I call this fish 'stupidly overfinned' it's hard to see here just how true that is, since even the longest sections of fin in this photo are only about 60-70% of what what was there to begin with. Add to that, this fish is a skinny little thing, about the size of a betta recently out of fry stage, and you can imagine how he struggles.

You can also see the pale new rays growing on his dorsal - he's bitten it clean off, but for that one long ray, which is also not a whole ray, his dorsal was super long.. and some new clean webbing around the rest of his fins.

This little betta is so loved and cared for. I know he doesn't look it! But he is!

Breaks my heart.

But he still floofs around happily, and never fails to wiggle up for a hello.

I can't see him making rapid improvement, somehow. But I'm pretty determined to not let him down, and keep him as healthy as I can for as long as I can.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #148 
Aus

Npt update

Here's some progressive pics of the 39L (not 29L! I don't know why I was calling it a 29.. anyway..) NPT:

DAY 1. Heater in, some milfoil, wisteria and hairgrass, and the goldvine attractively arranged in a random heap with a big rock on top of it, as the rotten stuff won't sink yet. Water's cloudy, but I'm not bothering about it too much until all the plants are in:

DAY 2: Tied anubias to goldvine (which still has a rock on it.. will it never sink?!) and planted various crypts and a little bit of blyxa in the corner. Water's -very- cloudy due to having just stirred up the substrate.

Got a pile of plants arriving later today, so big update tomorrow!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #149 
LittleBettaFish

Saw them over on Aquariumlife Aus. Looking good. You will have to be aggressive with your milfoil as it tends to cover the surface and then die off and go leggy at the bottom.

I like your wood. It is an interesting shape. Are you going to be tying any moss to it?
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #150 
Aus

Thanks for the tip on the milfoil, LBF. And yeah, I now have maybe 4 or 5 kinds of moss..

I'm in abject shock at what the postie brought today. Those folks on AL.. omg, so kind! Where I thought maybe I've bought enough to do the 10g and perhaps start a larger tank as well.. I have an 8 gallon tank FULL (no kidding, it's stuffed with plants, there's barely room for the water) with those, plus a GAZILLION 'extra' plants thrown in (I have never SEEN this much java fern) and the NPT is .. well, you'll see tomorrow. Such an incredible list..

I'm so overwhelmed at how kind these people are. :)