Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #161 
Aus

Omg, creepy hobos.. I once smacked one down two flights of stairs with a shovel after he - walked into - my flat and made himself at home. And then was disinclined to leave. Until I smacked him with the shovel.

Was it you wanting java moss on AL, too? I have it out the ears, would be happy to give you some clumps. There's two lovely ones pearling merrily in Cleo's tank and she is a healthy little fishy so I'd be happy to give you those.

You're welcome to pop over for a cuppa when I'm cashed up again, we'll do business, lol.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #162 
birdielikestomatoes

Those ratties are...ADORABLE. You're seriously lucky I don't live in Australia or I might visit you and never leave as I'd be in pet heaven, though if that happened I'd prefer to not be smacked down a staircase. xD

It's been a battle just getting my two fish tanks set up, and I'm still working on the third! Not to mention I've been begging for dog number two for the past 5 years. (It took 11 years to get doggy number one.) All right enough ranting. I'm in a ranting mood.

HOBOS. I'm still scarred from the time I was just chilling in the car waiting for my family to get out from the gas station, when a hobo barged into the car and started rummaging through my backpack. In shock I wasn't able to bring myself to talk. Luckily though my parents decided to come out at the time and my mom went ballistic. She started shouting at him and he explained he was looking for a phone. Right...a phone. I was twelve at the time.
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #163 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Aus.... Ratties are adorable!! Lucky daughter! And I'm loving the 3footer. I once had a Betta in his very own 45 gallon. He LOVED it. Silly people and their silly little betta bowls. Put a Betta in a big tank and you will never use a bowl again. I admit I have a 2.5 gallon set up on a table but he is a friend's who is going to college in Sept and they are only allow 3 gal in Residence. Silly rule, should be at least 5-6 gal.
Love the pics! Probably a good thing you don't have room for horses and cows... lol.
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #164 
Aus

BLT --- lol! You'd be welcome to visit. I bet you wouldn't smell anywhere near as badly as that particular gentleman did... And what a terrifying experience that must have been for your younger self!

All mothers should be permitted to carry shovels in public.

JB, so nice to see you again, hope all's well!

I think it's a good idea to be cautious about number/species of pets and manageability.. Every pet I have has a backup plan for if I go to hospital/away/ have an unexpectedly empty wallet. If I had better health/more resources, I believe I very well could end up with a zoo (it's happened before! and YES - I had horses.. and a cow! ) but these days, small pets are about it. Like Daughter's flipping scorpion, which I truly hope she doesn't want now we have three rats to keep her busy. =P

As for tanks size - I am not against tanks of 1 gallon or up, IF they are well maintained according to the fish's needs. Ie, I'm happy to keep little Cleo in her 3.5 g, though it is a lot of work. But I could not keep Cole in one that small, he's a rocket with fins and quite large. I keep thinking he'll bust out of his temporary tank one night and try to eat me, out of sheer spite for making him live in a 4 gallon keeper until the 10 is ready..
Old 07-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #165 
shadowpony

Awww.. Rats :).
I agree on with you about tank size. I think every betta should have special consideration on their tank's size. My VT is pretty big and fairly active, so I like to keep him in 5+ gallons. My HM (RIP) was small and not as active, he did fine in 2.5 gallons.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #166 
Aus

NPT DAY 4:

I did some rearranging, replanted that sword, shuffled a few other things around, planted the HC... I'm really pleased with the green lily and how resilient it's been, it looks very happy and is to become my favourite plant, I think..

Me and that goldvine.. we're going to have words fairly shortly. It may even amount to fisticuffs. It just. Will not. Bloody. Sink.

So that's why there's an even bigger rock sitting in it. :\

Ah, well. I'm sure there's still a few major errors which will become more noticeable as things settle and sprout, but I'm pretty much leaving this tank alone for now. It has a nice jungly feel to it, and the plants are all alive, some even madly sprouting already.

I think I'm going to put a dozen shrimp in to help clean up the algae. There's not much as yet, but I can see where it'll soon be thriving between the plants.

The third pic down is a comparison to the first, which is the most recent. I do think it's an improvement..

The second pic is a closeup of the right hand side of the tank, which I'm pretty pleased with. The left side has a pile of very nice crypts which have all done the melty thing as expected, but are definitely looking good for new growth and will sooner or later nicely fill the background on that side with some long, narrow leaves.

Daughter got a lovely shot of Cole, and one of Cleo too. She's getting pretty good at photography.

And of course, there's the obligatory cute rattie pic.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aus; 07-06-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #167 
Aus

Lots of updates!

3ft tank - arrives tomorrow night, for sure. Yay!

Bit of a check-in list:

I've found a hood/stand for it along with a heater and extra canister (have to pay this lot off..), and am buying another canister filter from LBF. Need more substrate stuff, but that's not expensive.. maybe $12-20 worth of sand and potting mix. Of course I have plants out the ears right now, so I'm okay there.. but I also need some driftwood for the java fern and mosses.

Whew. Well, I'll be broke for ages, but it'll be worth it!

NPT update: due to ratty issues (see ratty update below) I've had to put Cole in the NPT a bit sooner than I wanted to.. Since ammonia's been at zero since day 1, there's mega bulk plants in there and I'm testing every day, I figure he'll be alright. He loves the tank! I don't think he's ever seen a filter before, and he keeps playing in the bubbles when he's not exploring every inch and trying to eat the azolla and duckweed. So funny..

Ratty update: Bit worried about the boys.. there's been a fair amount of aggression developing between them. We tried removing each rat in turn to figure out what/who was behind it, and it seems the two big boys will tussle but get over it and snuggle up together after, but poor little Archie is always on the defensive and will fly across the cage to wail on the others - and of course, gets the snot beaten out of him by the bigger rats. I think it's just that he's half the size of the others, and maybe feels very insecure. So that's why he's in Cole's old Kritter Keeper (minus the water! lol) with some cosy blankies and his own little bowls for the moment.. he's just too little to be dealing with the two big fellers who are having their own disagreements.

He also seems to have gotten a scratch to the eye in the fracas, not too horrible but he'll be off to the vet if there's any swelling or anything.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #168 
Aus

Just some random NPT/Cole pics..
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #169 
Aus

Ratty update: they are all three sleeping peacefully in my peg-basket, which is now lined with snuggly polar fleece and hanging in the ratty cage.

Daughter update: will be going to the shops in morning, to buy me another peg-basket.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #170 
Aus

SQUEE.

My 3ft tank is here. That's roughly 153 L or just under 40.5 gallons.

But make that 30 gallons.. as it won't be completely filled with water, I think. It's 50cm (1.75 feet??) in height, which is pretty tall.. I am pretty bent on the idea of a paludarium sort of thing, growing some mini papyrus (if it only grows to about 1.5 ft..) and other emmersed plants in there to give it a pond-like feel.

For substrate height that doesn't encourage anaerobic pockets, someone on AL suggested hydroponic clay ball things.. regular substrate goes over these. I'll do some research on that, as it would solve the height issue without me attempting the inevitable doomed mess of DIY anything.

I'll be posting some other people's tank pics here for inspiration. :)

Like this one:

Epiphytes!!!!! Love those air plants! And ooh, I swear there's orchids on that wood... I -really- like this tank! Mine would have to be well-covered, for the strohi, but something like this doesn't need to be open-topped.

These are more shallow, water-wise, than I would want. And I'd like the emmersed plants to actually be rooted in substrate, if possible, rather than in hanging pots (or both, really.. maybe..) and the tops are bushier than I'd like.. but yeah. I just like paludariums a lot.

I need to do some research on semi-aquatic plants! Lord knows, I do not need any more aquatic ones.. Well. Maybe a couple.

And definitely on the hunt for interesting bits of wood.

Not... so much the plant choices, here, but the rocks! I would hope they were held together with a dab of water-safe glue if there's fish in there.. what an interesting arrangement, however.

I just read that dwarf papyrus can be submerged to a depth of around 20cm.. or more, for the mature plants, which is a lot more than I thought.