Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2012, 01:45 AM   #181 
Aus

Awesome, will add those foods to the shopping list.

They'll be going on my old desk in my bedroom, so there's plenty of room for the 3ft and a worm tank (and the cat, who loves sleeping on that desk and will probably freak out, as he is scared of the fish.. ). It's right by a window, so I can water the garden while siphoning for water changes.

And awh, if you miss them you can always pop in and visit! I'm home a lot, kettle's always on.

I just hope I do okay by them. Daughter's very excited about them, too, though she is not a fan of wilds she thinks the strohi are lovely (and we all know how important it is to get your teenager's approval on everything, pet-wise, right?)

I have decided against an NPT for this size tank.. going with coarse sand substrate with occasional doses of Flourish instead. Mainly as I don't think I am experienced enough with dirt to avoid making mistakes...
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #182 
LittleBettaFish

I have a feeling they are going to be very spoiled with you. My wilds just have java moss, sand, some wood and some IAL. My killies and splendens are more pampered with planted little barebottom set-ups.

Strohi are really nice fish. It's amazing watching how dark the bigger ones go now when they are fighting over something.

Also don't be alarmed if there are some nipped fins from time to time. My wild pairs will still whoop each other's butts every now and then. I've found mine tend to be most aggressive before they spawn. Other than that they tend to live together pretty peacefully.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:15 AM   #183 
Aus

Please be aware that I'll be bothering you with questions every 5 mins..

And yeah.. my bettas are pretty spoiled. I could always do better (heh) but I think I do okay. I could give them more live foods, for sure, in winter. Atm, they get turns at whatever craneflies happen along. In summer I have the mozzie bucket. No worms, as I've been a bit dubious about my ability not to stuff that up.. but hey, trying new things is good too (if a bit gross sometimes).

I was kind of expecting a few tussles, from what you've said about them wrassling a bit, and the research I did. Do they generally heal up okay in-tank, or do you pull them for treatment?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #184 
Aus

Aus' Betta Discoveries #1: Betta uberis

So. I was googling about for more information on the b. strohi (really, not a lot out there.. ) and found this cute little guy:

That's Betta uberis, AKA 'Pangkalanbun'. He's a native of the Indonesian portion of Borneo and is found in several different locations there.

Who said wild betta were boring?! Check out the spade tail on him!

B. uberis is bubble nester which lives in the mankiest parts of forest creeks and waterholes, in really black water - tannins created by rotty leaves and fallen wood, with a ph as low as 3 or 4! - and when the creek dries up for a couple of weeks a year, these amazing little fish survive in the mucky wet leaf litter left behind. For up to 4 weeks!

Not only are they tough, but they come in a lovely array of colours which differ from region to region. Here's another little B. uberis, from a different part of Borneo:

What a cutie. :B

Last edited by Aus; 07-16-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #185 
LittleBettaFish

I'm getting a pair of those (mine are uberis kubu I believe) in hopefully in a week's time. Haven't heard whether they died or not on the way over so fingers crossed they are in quarantine with Jodi-Lea/still with Preecha and doing well. Also getting some burdigala which are similar to the top uberis.

I have nearly that entire complex of bettas just need coccina and one that I have never seen for sale anywhere.

If your wilds are captive bred they tend to be pretty hardy, more so than most splendens I've found. My wilds heal damage almost overnight as I keep them on a high-protein diet and their water is always kept very clean.

My persephone male (now if you want to see stunning google those!) had a very bad infection under his gill and I thought he would die. Three days in a hospital tank and he was good as new and ready to go back in with his fry and wife.

Don't stress too much about the strohi haha. As long as you have relatively soft water and a tight-fitting lid they will do fine.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #186 
Aus

I'm off to Bunnings tomorrow for a perspex lid and some other stuff.. and then to Coburg for wood, aq peat and sand. My legs have not been good this past two weeks, and with all the dicking around with the tank delivery..

I'm a bit worried (I'm a worry wart..) about putting them in the big tank before it's cycled. Is it possible to have a tank that size and NOT cycle it?

I should've worked all this out a bit earlier, methinks.

I did read that you have trouble cycling tanks due to the soft/dark water so I'm wondering - if I treated the tank as uncycled, and it's to contain a stack of plants and about.. 3/4 of a 3ft worth of water.. say.. 90-100 L.. how often/how much would I change that, for optimal clean water?

Also, PM'ing you shortly re payment.

PS: Soooo jealous re the uberis! :D And yes, I did look up persephones, after you said you had some, simply stunning little fish. I insist on pics, once they're settled in, and am watching your journal for progress on the spawn.

Last edited by Aus; 07-17-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #187 
LittleBettaFish

Forgot to mention in my PM, I have some really nice peat moss from Jodi-Lea if you want me to bring over a couple of cupfuls (really potent stuff) when I drop off the stinkers. I can also dig out a few big IALs from Dave I think I still have.

I don't cycle any of my wild betta tanks and if you have enough healthy plant mass they are honestly so small at the moment that any ammonia they produce should be taken up by the plants.

My persephone fry are doing really well. I just let nature do its thing so I have whittled down the numbers and have started to supplement with MW and VE. I also dropped some brownorum fry in there so hopefully they survive as well. Going to have to drag out my BBS hatchery ugh. Mum persephone is the piggiest fish I own. Poor dad does not stand a chance haha.

If you ever want to get more into wilds, Adrian over at Exotic Aquatic stocks a few species and can get more in from Aquarium Industries. I just got a pair of blue gularis killifish from him and his store and service is impeccable. Plus he has Wolfgang from AL working there now who really knows his plant stuff.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #188 
Aus

LBF, cheers, the peat & IAL would be great.

I've plenty of plants, and am pretty fussy with water changes, so I'm sure they'll be alright. :)

Awh, baby persephones. You know, when my splendens pass away (though knock on wood they don't for a few years yet..) I wouldn't mind trying a few other wilds. Some are just lovely, and it's nice to think of helping some of the critically endangered ones to at least carry on -somewhere- in the world.

Thanks for the tip re EA too, I really must get over there one day soon.

Anyhow, I'm off shopping for the new babies. :D

Then cleaning my place, so you don't die of the untidiness when you bring the fish over. ><
Old 07-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #189 
Aus

AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH i hate the LFS hate hate grrrrrrrr

WHEW! Well, that was fun.

I had such a great shopping trip.

Bought all the stuff I need for the strohi AND.... decided to get Cole a couple of tankmates to help with algae.

ANYways, the really nice guy at this REALLY FANTASTIC LFS was sooo very nice that I BELIEVED HIM WHEN HE SAID THE LITTLE CATFISHES WOULD BE OKAY.

"They're from Borneo and thus will thrive in the same conditions bettas do," he said to the oblivious-to-catfish-species person. Which was really nice of him, making an appropriate suggestion like that. Except.... those fish he spent 45 mins chasing around the tank with a net?

They're EFFING HILLSTREAM LOACHES.

And as it happens, there is nothing on this planet that is LESS likely to thrive in betta-preferred tank conditions.

Except maybe an effing MOOSE.

I shall recount the shopping-trip joy which was shattered by this thanks-to-Google-once-I-got-home-and-the-IMPOSSIBLE-TO-CATCH-FISH-OF-INAPPROPRIATENESS-were-already-in-my-tank revelation a little later....

Just need to take a few nice... deep.. breaths..

Last edited by Aus; 07-18-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #190 
magnum

Ahh the pet store muppets strike again... What are you going to do with the loaches now that you have them? As for the moose, I'm sure your betta's will love the thing trampling there tanks! xD
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote