Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #321 
Aus

Think she'd get along with the pleco? They'd have to share, as I can't manage more tanks than what I have (plus Om-nom's tank when that's up again).

D'aww, baby persephones. I hope there's some males among the fry.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #322 
Pilot00

Glad to hear everything settled down Aus. Thats the first peace of good news I had in 20 days!
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:35 AM   #323 
magnum

YAAAAY! Aus is back! You have missed so much!

First of all, I'm happy to see that all your fish are doing fine. Hopefully Demyx will get out of the habit of tail-biting now that he's adjusted to his new home. Spike started tail-biting, but it's growing back in nicely.

Once again, my condolences go out to the Strohi. Ive had some rough times too. I lost Stu, Ace and my new female to an unknown disease while you were gone. ):

Anyway, I'm just so happy that your back (:!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #324 
Aus

Cheers, pilot! I hope you have lots more good news from now on, too.

Magnum, I am SO sorry to hear about Stu and the others.. It really is hard, losing them in droves. But we have our other fish to see us through, I suppose. It's nice to see you again, too - I'll have to come by your thread and read all what I've missed.

Anyways, I re-decorated Cole's tank a bit last night, rearranged/thinned out his plants some and added a bit of wood - which is, apparently, THE ENEMY.

Yes, Cole spent hours sidling up to the wood, flaring and barging around like a disgruntled Spanish galleon in full sail. Irish laughed his ass off. So did I. Cole was not amused.

He has calmed down a bit tonight, though he still seems uneasy and is patrolling the tank like a maniac. Good news is, I found three or four shrimp .. how they survived is nothing short of a minor crustacean miracle. But it was nice to see them shrimping about in the undergrowth.

The tank looks pretty empty now, compared to what it was. But I expect when the plants fill out a bit, they'll bush it up again. The swords are looking really healthy, the elodea is trying to evolve into some sort of multi-stemmed aquatic triffid, and the baby lotuses are doing very well, too. Oh, and my crypts are multiplying! I divided those, and took out the massive clump of java fern up the back, which provided a good deal of the height.. So now it looks a bit cut-off-at-halfway until the lotuses and newly redistributed triffids really get to growing.

Aang's tank will be re-done tomorrow if this cold snap in the weather goes away and I feel more like sploshing around in water. I want to plant it quite heavily, but keep the funky 'island' look that Daughter set up in there.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #325 
magnum

Weh, your tanks all sound so NICE. I want to plant all mine naturally, but lately all the LFS is selling tiny anubias on rocks which are twelve dollars. The Java Fern looked dead and they were selling clumps of random plants for $5, but when I asked what they were, the lady had know idea.

You need to post some pictures of Aangs tank! I have never seen this masterpiece!
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #326 
Aus

Magnum, I'd love to send you some anubias and java fern, etc. Not like I don't have a stack to spare, ha. PM me your addy and I'll get around to it in a week or so, once I sort them out a bit. You'd actually be doing me a favour, as there's way too many plants in the pleco's plastic holding tank.. they might not be liking the lack of light in the laundry and with Daughter's birthday coming up soon I won't be able to afford a new tank set-up before November. Throw me some $ for postage, and Bob's your uncle.

Water change day today, and I'm putting Demyx in a 3 gallon kritter keeper thingy to see how he does in that. I aim to slowly upgrade him to Aang's old 8 gallon, once I upgrade Aang in a few weeks.

No new pics yet, as all the tanks are a bit of a mess still from the move and I am still at a loss for where to put them all permanently. Cole's tank is the only one I've found the perfect place for, and it looks great where it is. I need to think about where to put the 3ft when I replace that..

Cleo's still looks great (it's a moss and susswassertang factory, apparently, being ready for another moss cull already) but I'd like to move it across the other side of the kitchen, which I might do today.

Just a word on sponge filters: they rock.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever with them, and they work a treat. The water quality is brilliant, they are easy to clean (give 'em a squish, voila!) and they provide aeration as well as surface motion.

Went to dinner last night with the out-laws (my ex's parents) and Very Cool Uncle (the ex's brother) and his partner. Daughter had a lovely time playing with her uncle's new Jack Russel x Mini Fox terrier pup, which is 9 weeks old and omg-adorable.

On the way home, we listened to a great Aussie rock band from Brisbane called Rollerball --- I was an instant fan, and Very Cool Uncle gave me the CD which was nice of him.

How I did not know about this band before, I do not know! I feel terribly deprived. Here's some songs I found on Youtube..

WARNING: loud, heavy awesome Australian rock music ahead!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvlu30oMtQU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dv2_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eym8z...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPhEE...eature=related
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #327 
Aus

Shrimp! I found one! In Cleo's tank!

I haven't seen any since several weeks before the move. Poor Zoidbergs... Cleo picked them off one by one and I had assumed she'd gotten them all.

But no! Baby Z is still alive and kicking, and still the same brilliant scarlet colour as ever. She's just a bit bigger now.

I will probably remove her, just because she's such a lovely red, and put her in Aang's new set-up (which is still a work in progress, I got him some lovely plants from the LPS, wait til you see...) with some other nicely coloured RCS - if I can get any.

And then restock the Zoiberg population in Cleo's tank. She seems a little bored (I can tell by the plaintive way she flails around wildly at the slightest tremor or sound, clearly hoping whatever it is will fit in her mouth..)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #328 
birdielikestomatoes

Got caught up again!

Cleo's antics always bring a smile to my face. She just seems so amazing. Baby Z must be a master of stealth to avoid being eaten so far.

I can't wait to see a picture of Aang's tank, it sounds really beautiful. I have yet to try a NPT but that doesn't mean I don't love the looks of them.

I'm glad you're settling in well. I'm so completely jealous of Daughter's little shed room, I want one for myself. :)
birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #329 
Aus

Thanks, BLT - yeah, the shed, lol. I want one, too!

Aang's tank is... a work in progress, lol. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.. I decided not to go the NPT route with his tank just yet, as it may be getting upgraded soon, dunno.. It looks a lot nicer now, though, and he loves the new plants. Can't wait to get him & Demyx a pair of matching tanks (yes, I am upgrading Demyx.. will have to keep lower water level, but he needs a bigger tank!! Plus, I think a planted tank will only help with his ongoing fin issues).

Cole's NPT is lovely, however, and sooo healthy looking (if a little messy, but I like that look and he loves exploring it all). Pics imminent!

I've been really tired/listless this week, think I'm coming down with something. :( So ofc, insomnia settles in again, and I'm too weary to be creative with the time.

And one of my exes that I love to hate and don't speak to for months, sometimes years at a time, is hanging around again. Just as a friend but he was a truly terrible bf, and isn't much better at platonic relationships. I really don't know what to do with that. And he's the one person to whom I can't simply give the flick, as I would with anybody else. My achilles heel, sort of.

He's some kind of heel, anyway.. ;)
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #330 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like my mum and dad haha. They got divorced like 12 or so years ago, and it was horrible. They were like mortal enemies for the first half of it and my dad's mum wouldn't even like to hear my mum being talked about in her house.

Then when my mum broke up with her boyfriend of around 10 years, my dad and her started talking as friends again. Then they tried to see how a relationship would go the second time around...

It failed as badly as the first time around as they are completely incompatible and neither had changed that much.

Now they are back to just doing stuff together as friends. My dad helps bike the dogs, comes around for dinner 1-2 nights a week and is helping us with getting the house sorted out. I have told them to just stay as friends. They make good friends and lousy lovers haha

You just have to figure if having him there is worse than not having him there. If it's neither better nor worse and he is truly interested in just being a friend I would say just see how it goes. If however, he is using the friend ploy to try and get back into a relationship and he was horrible the last time around, send him packing.

It is very rare for someone to do a complete character turnaround. Usually they are just pretending and the truth comes out eventually.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote