Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 02:31 AM   #31 
Aus

Plantlets!

My java fern had babies?

Checking on Sid this morning, and there's two tiny little plantlets floating near the filter outlet. They have two leaves and little roots. Awh.

Not sure whether they're java fern or cryptocorene. And don't know what to do with them, as they're way too tiny to tie to anything and I don't want to move them out of water they are thriving in.

My water lettuce is doing very well. It's not planted, just floating on top to give Sid a bit of extra surface support, and is sending down a lot of roots.

The little cryptocorene pots are doing okay. I worried they'd not get enough light, but they seem happy enough. Looking at the baby plants again, I do think they're probably cryptos.

Turns out that I have some java moss, too, growing among the broader-leaved mossy stuff (the name of which I have forgotten.. ) - just a few strands, but next time I hoover the tank I'll take it out and tether it to something.

There's weird hairlike algae growing on my java fern, also. It looks like a bad hair transplant. Not sure the fern is all that happy. It didn't like being moved, I know that much.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 AM   #32 
Aus

OMGOMGOMG OMG

I just got asked to work for Chaosium. The people who produce Call of Cthulu. My illustrations will be in a book. By Chaosium!

OMFG!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #33 
Aus

And Sid's fins are showing healthy regrowth, from where the cotton fin ate away the gluey bits.

My fishy will have pretty fins. Yay!

Yes, I'm still all hyper about the Chaosium offer, woohoo.. but the fins are great news, too!

Here's an example of my art. I draw Lovecraftian monsters. Which I adore, totally.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #34 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Yeah for Sid's fins!
Thank you for the link to the poems by Sylvia Plath...I don't think I thanked you!

Fabulous art work! I admit I had to Google to see who/what you were referring to.... yes this art commission is well deserved! You go girl!!
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #35 
Aus

Thanks, JB - and you're welcome, too!

I had a weird and wonderful dream about Sid last night. I can't recall what came before, except that it was a nice dream - but at some point Daughter and I were wading through a flooded field in which the water grew deeper as we walked out into it.

I was looking for Sid - he'd somehow been washed into this grassy water, and I was really sad. Then Daughter said 'Why don't you just call him? I hear they come when you call their names."

So I bent down toward the water and called him, and .. nothing. I was so sad, and about to give up when I saw a saw a little red 'wiggle' in the water near my feet. It was Sid!

I scooped him up in something (I have no idea what) and he was wiggling his fins at me like, 'What took you so long?"

Lol. Spending to much time thinking about my betta, maybe?

Here is a poem that is around 800 years old. The author is a famous Persian poet and mystic, who was born around 1320.

The Fish and I Will Chat
by Khwāja Shamsu d-Dīn Muhammad Hāfez-e Shīrāzī (Hafez or Hafiz)

Once
In a while
The fish and I will chat
In the silent
Language:

We look
into each other's eyes and smiile,
And they often
Say,

"Hey, Hafiz
We see you know the joy of
Our existence.

We see you have discovered how meditation
Can free you from land,
Mind, debts, alimony, the
Whole works.

And like
Us

Let you carouse all day
In
God."

Last edited by Aus; 02-24-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #36 
Aus

The temperature hit 37C (98.6F) today, so I turned the heaters off in both tanks - room temp being higher than heater temp = redundant heater, I would suppose, or maybe cooked fishies...?

It's past midnight now and just on 28C (82F) which is just over regular tank temp, so the tanks should be normal. I'm staying up so I turn them back on for the late night temp drop that'll be here in an hour or two. Up early to turn 'em back off - another hot day tomorrow (33C) but cooling down for the rest of the week tomorrow night. Thank goodness.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #37 
SeaHorse
TFK Moderator

Hi Aus... I am jealous and not jealous at the same time... LOL. I hate the heat, I just wilt into a puddle each summer. But I just came in from romping with my 2 dogs in the SNOW. -2C or 29-30F today but sunny. Lets just blend the two and have a drink at about 65-70 degrees and share fish stories. Italy... Cappuccino.... that works for me. !!?
Would I be safe to say you are in Australia?
SeaHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #38 
Aus

Yep, Australia! And cappuccino in Italy sounds great.

I have never seen real snow, only mushy stuff that wasn't very fun to slosh through. I hate being cold, so I'm content with pictures of snow.

The boys have just loved our 35+ C, thunderstormy weather. Sid was zipping around his tank like a maniac during the major thunder and lightning, to the point where I was concerned about him - but he was just being hyper silly. Even the much calmer Demyx was a little excitable and floofed around like mad.

My housemate - the one who commented that he hadn't thought of fish having personalities - got a lovely greeting after his weekend away. Sid had finally calmed down a bit and was loafing on his hammock as Daughter and I went about our doings - but when the housemate came in, Sid went silly again, zooming about, wiggling, flapping his fins madly at the front of the tank. I think he earned himself a few more endearment points, lol.

The rain has been really lovely, after days of muggy heat. The bromeliads are enjoying it too, all lined up in the garden outside to get a drink and a refreshing 'shower'.

I mentioned in the gardening thread that I was considering a return to carnivorous plants. They're pretty amazing, and quite addictive once you get the growing them successfully thing down pat. They're not as fussy as they seem at first - a bit like bettas, it gets simpler with time - and there's a terrarium idea I'd really love to try out.

I wish I'd taken pictures of my old 'mother sundew' - a drosera capensis which lived years past her prime, and grew so big that she needed several bamboo-stick supports for what became a very long 'trunk'. Her leaf span was probably a foot and a half wide, and the same high, and her flower stalks were spectacular. She finally passed away of old age, after providing everyone I knew and several plant stores with her many children. I've had many other 'pet plants' but she was my all time favourite.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #39 
Aus

And here's a poem, something fun today:

We Fish
by Herman Melville

We fish, we fish, we merrily swim,
We care not for friend nor for foe.
Our fins are stout,
Our tails are out,
As through the seas we go.

Fish, Fish, we are fish with red gills;
Naught disturbs us, our blood is at zero:
We are buoyant because of our bags,
Being many, each fish is a hero.
We care not what is it, this life
That we follow, this phantom unknown;
To swim, it’s exceedingly pleasant,—
So swim away, making a foam.
This strange looking thing by our side,
Not for safety, around it we flee:—
Its shadow’s so shady, that’s all,—
We only swim under its lee.
And as for the eels there above,
And as for the fowls of the air,
We care not for them nor their ways,
As we cheerily glide afar!

We fish, we fish, we merrily swim,
We care not for friend nor for foe:
Our fins are stout,
Our tails are out,
As through the seas we go.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #40 
Aus

Sid's not happy with me. Not one bit.

He's in the 1.5 g hospital tank, on AQ salt for suspiciously raggedy fin-ends. Not a major issue yet, but enough to warrant a week in special care.

He hates it.

Demyx, on the other hand, is still a happy little fish. He's going into his new and larger tank - I'm not sure how many gallons it is (it's a Kritter Keeper type of thing) but it's at least double what he has, so probably 3 g. I'll measure it accurately when I pour the water.