Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 
gabrielle09

My breeding bettas were interrupted

Okay so I got called into work today and I've had my bettas in the same tank since last night hoping to get them to breed. I've checked them every half an hour to make sure that things were going smoothly and this morning my male attempted an embrace about four times that I had watched. I had read that sometimes males can fail at the embrace the first couple times so I decided to keep them together a little longer since there were no eggs yet and they were still responding to each other. After I left for work I asked my boyfriend to go into our room and check on the bettas to make sure they were still okay and I guess he decided to move my male into my soroity tank. OMG!!!! My question is what do I do? The pair was in the middle of mating do I have to start all over again? My boyfriend says he doesn't think there are any eggs in the bubblenest but if there are do I put the male back in the tank to take care of them? Will he look after them now that he has been removed from the process? And if there are no eggs will putting him back in the tank with the female be a bad idea or will they be able to pick up where they left off? Also I am really concerned about my male being in my soroity tank and I told my boyfriend to remove him right away he is a very aggressive crowntail and I have some very aggressive females in the tank and I'm afraid they will attack him or vice versa. My boyfriend says that so far everyone is leaving my crowntail alone so he is not going to take him out of my soroity tank ahhhhhh I really want to go home and rescue my babies!! And no the females don't fight amongst themselves...they love each other. It's very cute to watch them bonding. They are in a densly planted tank with three mollies and a platy and they all get along so well I was quite surprised because I read if the betta females were not related they would not like each other. :) Anyway back to the main issue what do I do about my breeding pair and a boyfriend who is not fish savvy...I may get him to walk the plank and swim with the fishes lol :)
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Since I've never had this happen, I don't really know what you should do. If it happened to me, I suppose I would try and put the male back with the female and see if they would continue to get along as before. If they start to fight, you could start all over again with conditioning them.
Do your best to teach your non-fish BF about fish care, especially betta care. :)
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #3 
gabrielle09

Thanks a lot I'll try that and hope it ends up okay.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 
tpocicat

You're welcome. I once had a male in my sorority tank by accident. I bought a blue/white marble HM "female" on Aquabid. Turned out to be a male PK! All went well until he bred with one of my females, of course I took him out as soon as I found out, nothing I could do about the eggs since they were in my soroity tank.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
gabrielle09

Yes I had a similar thing happen when I ordered two halfmoon females from Thailand. I had them in the same tank with a divider and the one girl got her mating stripes. Turns out that I received one female and a very young male. I still don't know what to name him since he is no longer a girl.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #6 
fraviz

Is this considered a 'blue balls" Betta???? :) just kidding... hope you can educate your man....
fraviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #7 
gabrielle09

Well I tried putting the bettas back together after they had been separated and it was not a good idea. Perhaps it will work with other fish that are not so temperamental but definately did not work with my crowntail. My male became extremely aggressive towards my female so they had to be separated. A whole month's worth of work conditioning them and now I have to go back to the drawing board sigh. Thanks for the advice though it was much appreciated. :)
Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #8 
BettaBreeder

Did you check for eggs in the bubble nest? It could be that they were done spawning and that now he's trying to protect the eggs from the female...

Just a thought.
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #9 
gabrielle09

Yes I checked for that right before I pulled the female out. When I checked on them the bubblenest had holes in it and was broken into pieces. It had been a huge thick thing before but no longer so I figured I would start over.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #10 
BettaBreeder

Aww, too bad. I've been trying to breed some, (my first time) but so far my efforts have failed...I'm re-conditioning mine now and will try again in a couple weeks. :)

Wish you luck with your next try!
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote