Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #11 
gabrielle09

Thanks for the good wishes. It's my first time breeding them too. This was my third try. I'm hoping my fourth will bring better results. I already have patient buyers waiting for the babies. Thank goodness I have friends that are willing to wait. Good luck to you too I hope your breeding goes well.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #12 
BettaBreeder

Haha, sounds about like my situation. :) Minus the buyers...but I'm sure I'll be able to get them. It sure has taken a lot of research! I thought Betta breeding was "easy". ;)
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #13 
gabrielle09

Yes that was what I was told but the person who told me has done it before numerous times and says that I won't be good at it until I've been doing it for 10 years or more. Why couldn't bettas be more like guppies? You just throw them in a tank and let them go to town lol :) I guess if bettas were more like guppies it would take all the fun out of having them. I love their simplistic complexity. My favourite ones right now are my halfmoons their fins are gorgeous. I also love my dragonscale plakat. They were jems I found at the petstore.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 
gabrielle09

Oh sorry I spelled gems wrong...I have a betta female I named Jem after Jem and the Holograms. You gotta love Teletoon Retro LOL
Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #15 
BettaBreeder

Haha, yeah 10 years! Well I've had about 10 years of fish keeping experience, does that count? ;)

Yeah halfmoons are really pretty! I want to get those next, I figured I'd start out with some "cheaper" ones first. The ones I have are in my avatar.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

If you conditioned them properly to start-you shouldn't need to wait but about 3 days to try again....I would separate them both to small containers-neither in the spawning tank and feed really good for 3 days-allowing them to see each other for about 5min each day-then add the male back to the spawning tank after a 50% water change-temp 80F-then add the female to the spawning tank in a separate container-release her after a few hours if they are responding to each other-male dancing for her and starting a nest and the female trying to get out to follow him in a head down position...

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #17 
gabrielle09

Question

Thanks for that advice oldfishlady it's much appreciated and I like the fish in your avatar bettabreeder are those the only ones you have or do you have more? The halfmoon in my avatar is one of 13 that I own and still counting, I love bettas, I can't resist going into a petstore without buying one. The only bad thing about that is that the petstore bettas don't make good breeders. Has anyone ever ordered anything from aquabid? I'm a bit leary to order online without actually seeing the fish in person. And if you have used aquabid how healthy were the fish that you recieved? And is there a better place to order fish from besides aquabid?
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #18 
BettaBreeder

Yes those are the only Bettas I currently have, I had a pink pair, but they both died (separate times) last year. I would like to have more, but I don't have the room for another pair right now. I'll probably end up selling these after they spawn....if they ever do. :) And getting either more of these or a different kind of fish to raise. I really like Angelfish and Discus, but I know they are even harder to raise.

Thanks for the advice OldFishLady, I'll see about trying that.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #19 
tpocicat

I'm so sorry. Breeding bettas can be very frustrating sometimes.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #20 
BettaBreeder

Yes I know it can! :D Like right now, I really wish I could put my female in with my male in the raising tank, because he has the biggest bubble nest I've ever seen! Imagine a ten gallon tank with a divider in the center and then half of one of the sections has a bubble nest about half of the size of that! So it's about a quarter the size of the whole tank. :P I put the female into a cup floating in the males side of the tank, to see what would happen, but all I saw was the male flaring at her every few seconds (and then he goes back to making his nest) and the female darkened in color and you could see lengthwise stripes on her for a few minutes (not vertical though).

She appears to be basically ignoring the male...so I'm not sure what I'll do.