Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 
animallover

Bedding Help:Any small pet owner please reply!!!

Hello, I really need to post all the time everywhere on this site lol! I am not new to small pets. Growing up, as you can see in my sig, I have had hamsters, then rats, now Gerbils.

I have been using Aspen Bedding for the last 15 plus years for them. (Not my rabbits, they had their rabbit litter,newspaper under the cage etc) Aspen is very dusty and with my father having COPD with bronchitis and Asthma, we do not know if it was contributing. I was advised to switch to ECO bedding! Yeah, I like it but expensive. I have 5 tanks,(3) 20gallon and (2) 29gallons, using all Eco bedding will really add up! So to mix with it,I bought Kaytee Clean and Cozy bedding (similar to Carefresh)

1) Are Carefresh and this Kaytee the same?

2) Is it a choking hazard for the gerbil with either Carefresh or Kaytee Clean and Cozy?
3) Bedding needs to be able to hold their tunnels, will ECO hold them?

4) Odor control? They mainly smell when they go on their boxes. So I just toss those right away.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

I don't think Kaytee and Carefresh are the same, just similar bedding products. I don't think it will be a choking hazard and I'm not sure about the tunnels, but it should hold them. As far as odor control, Carefresh is really good with odor control... can't say I know anything about the Kaytee products.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #3 
animallover

Thank you Rosso1011! I will look at the Carefresh next time I go :)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:18 PM   #4 
Badjer

Carefresh is expensive, but great for people with allergies and very good with odor control. When I had my guineas, we started using it and never went back!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

I use the carefresh one when I can afford it.

Quote:
Carefresh Ultra Pet Bedding is popular for being one of the safest and healthiest types of bedding for your small animal. Carefresh Ultra is a special type of pet bedding composed of soft, white cellulose fiber that is safe for use with all small animals as it is free of inks, dyes, clay and other chemicals that are typically used in the paper making process. It has also been processed to remove potentially harmful aromatic hydrocarbons that exist in pine and cedar oils. To ensure your pet's safety, is even tested for contaminants and sanitized to 380F to reduce bacteria, mold and fungus.
Experience the Ultra-long odor control of Carefresh Ultra. Made from extra-long cellulose fibers that suppress the formation of ammonia, which is the primary source of odor found in pet urine, Carefresh Ultra controls odor longer than regular Carefresh bedding.
Experience the Ultra-absorbent quality of Carefresh Ultra. By absorbing 3x its weight in liquids from pet waste and water bottle leaks, Carefresh Ultra keeps your habitat clean and dry.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #6 
styggian

Carefresh is fantastic, I used it with my rats. It's also safe if they chew on it.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #7 
animallover

Badjer- I read most thought it was dusty. So I was confused. Thank you. If that works with Guineas, it must work with Gerbils! (I never had Guineas but heard they are a little messier-so cute though, I want a long haired one)

Tikibirds- I read the white one is the best instead of the brown. Thank you.

styggian- Thank you,I was worried if they chewed on it they would choke. I read someone's post on it on the other forum.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 AM   #8 
SlinkyInk

I always used carefresh for my guinea pigs. Nothing else was as good for them.
SlinkyInk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #9 
animallover

Thank you SlinkyInk! I will just get a small bag to start and give it a try with the ones in my room.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #10 
Badjer

I never really thought of my guineas as messy, but they're the only rodent pet I ever had so I can't really compare them to anything else. I'm not positive there's a difference between th white and brown carefresh...I used both though I preferred the brown as it didn't show pee as bad. If there's a difference, I never noticed it.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote