Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 
kaeila

Help with tank cleaning

Hi everyone! I have had my Betta Hercules in a 1 gallon tank for about 5 months now and I have finally upgraded to a 3 gallon tank for him. I am just wondering how often I should be changing the water and cleaning it and what is the best way to clean it!

Also any tips on the best sorts of decorations/accessories to use would be greatly appreciated!
kaeila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #2 
tf1265

Just him in a 3 gallon tank I would try to do a 33% water change once a week (I only say that because it's easy to take out 1 gallon and put 1 gallon back in). Make sure you either use a water conditioner or let the water sit for at least 24 hours before adding to the tank to allow the chlorine to evaporate.

As for decorations, depending on what your set up is a 3 gallon is large enough for some live plants. Java fern and java moss are great options for low-light plants, and nothing replaces the benefits of live plants in your tank. Definitely get some plants though, live or fake. Make sure you have some that will either float at the surface or reach the surface so he has somewhere to hide at the top. A cave of some sort at the bottom will be great, bettas love to hide.

Basically, make sure he has some swimming space but also make sure he has plenty of hiding places and some places where he feels concealed, even if you can still see him.
tf1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 
Gen2387

Hi! It's great that you upgraded him to a bigger tank. I'm sure he's thrilled!!!! For the water changes, it depends. Is it filtered?

I have a 3 gallon filtered tank and I do one 50% water change with gravel vaccum and one 25% just water change every week because ammonia builds up fast in those tanks. Because with just one 50% with vaccum a week, it would test positive for ammonia before the week was over. Granted it wasn't a high % of ammonia but still.

If it's not filtered I would do two 50% water change a week.

As for decorations, if you want something cheap that betta usualy love, go for the terracota pots. They make great hiding spot and they are aquarium safe. Or you can just use a coffee mug that you have at home. I prefer silk plants to plastic plants because there's less chances of ripping your betta's fins.
Also, if you are like me and DON'T have a green thumb at all but still want some live plants that your fish is going to love, go for the mossball. They are easy to take care of and the fish love it.

Last edited by Gen2387; 02-09-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 
kaeila

Thank you all so much for the reply!! Just a quick question though HOW do you do JUST a partial water change haha!? and Yes the new tank is filtered.
kaeila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #5 
Gen2387

Lol! No worries. I asked the same questions when I first started. For partial water changes you can either leave the fish in the tank or put him in a cup during the water change. In my case, I have to cup my fish because he freaks out too much and tries to jump out when I do water changes but a lot of people just leave their fish in the tank and it's fine.

The best thing you can do is buy a gravel vacuum. That's what I use and it's gentle enough if you leave the fish in the tank. You turn off the filter and heater and I usually take out some of the decoration so I have better access to the bottom of the tank and to rinse them before putting them back in the tank. With the gravel vacuum you can suck up all the dirt, leftover food and poop that is in the gravel at the bottom of the tank and it takes out the water at the same time. Just stop vacuuming when you got the amount of water desired out of the tank. Then you put in the new water in the tank (that as been treated with conditioner first) and that is approximatly the same temp as the water still in the tank (to prevent shock). If you fish is in a cup you can add cold and warm water until it's at the desired temp in the tank and turn on the filter and heater again. Then reacclimate your fish for about 20minutes before putting him back in. That's what I do.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote