Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #1 
newbetta22

Figuring out this whole betta thing for the first time...

Hello-- I've tried to answer as many questions as possible by reading the other threads, but I have a couple left. I'm excited to be getting my first betta next week after I finish putting my tank together. (I went to 4 stores today and none had gravel, so I will be going on a little road trip!!)

In the stores I saw floating logs and leaf hammocks. Do bettas actually use these/like them? I bought a 5.5 gallon tank if that matters.

Also, my tank came with a sample bottle of Nutrafin Cycle Biological Aquarium Supplement. What is that...? I haven't read about it, is it necessary? I know I need conditioner and I have a bottle of that as well.

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I bring the fishy home. :)
newbetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

yay! congrats on your first betta soon!

and yes they do use those things. they love them. :]

well, the 5.5 gallon is perfect. did it come with a filter? and you have a heater right!?

and the biological supplement is the starting for cycling your tank i believe. it's good bacteria that help naturally break down fish waste and such. so you don't have to do 100% water changes all the time like you would if it wasn't filtered and/or cycled. this normally takes a few weeks to develop though. although i'm not sure how long it takes with the supplement. so you might want to get some water testing kits as well.
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #3 
JBosley

Most Bettas like having somewhere to lie and sleep on! The hammock works great, I used to have one and my dude slept on it all the time As for the floating logs I have only seen them in other people's setups, but am tempted to get one.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #4 
Aus

Hi, I'm new to bettas, too! My fish just loves his leaf hammock and uses it all the time (cuteness factor 10).

I have heard that the best bio-supplements must be refrigerated at all times or they're useless? I'm not sure on whether the unrefrigerated kinds are any good, maybe an experienced person can help sort that out.

I hope you enjoy your betta. They really are pretty special.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 
newbetta22

Aw, everyone is so friendly and helpful here! :) I will definitely get a leaf then, and maybe a log later. I will also look into this supplement some more-- getting a water testing kit sounds like a good idea too. And yes I do have a filter and a heater. Just need to get the tank decorations and I should be set. Thank you everyone!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #6 
gabrielle09

I've found that my bettas prefer the marina natural silk plants to lay on rather than the betta leaves. I've never tried the betta log but a friend has it and her betta loves it. Be careful when cleaning the leaves I've found after a few months they don't want to stay in their suction cups anymore or the suction cup won't stick. What kind of betta are you thinking of getting? I like halfmoons and plakats :)
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 
newbetta22

Thanks for the tips-- and I'm not sure what I'm getting! I feel like I've learned a lot about betta setup and care, but I know nothing about the different kinds. I guess for this first one, whatever is available and appears the healthiest. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places to get bettas in this town.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #8 
Aus

Good luck finding a nice betta. Lucky fish - he or she will be going to a very nice, caring home. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #9 
JBosley

Remember to post pictures! Heh heh
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote