Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 
JBosley

Heater Annoyance! ARGH!!!

Hey Everyone!
After doing some research on here I realized I needed a heater for my new Betta, so I went out to Walmart and got a Tetra Whisper Heater (I am VERY strapped for money right now ) and because I have used it, they won't let me return it (shocking since it's Walmart!). It is apparently good for 2-15gallon tanks. And is supposed to keep the water at a nice 76F-78F, but it is NOT keeping it that warm at all! I am lucky if his tank is at 70F

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this heater. I am tempted to down-grade Dragonfly into a smaller tank to keep it warmer until I can afford to get him a new heater.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That is the brand heater I use in 10 different tanks that range from 1gal to 5gal and generally will keep the water temp in the 74-82F range-more or less- based on room temp and I keep my house pretty cold in the 68-70F range and in the area I keep my tanks it a bit cooler since I heat my house with a fireplace.

What and how are you checking the temp-type of thermometer and the placement of the thermometer....I use several different methods on different tanks-some I have the floating glass type and others I have the stick on the outside temp strips and when I compare the temp with my digital thermometer I use for quick checks- I find the temp can range by 10 degrees more or less depending on placement of the tank thermometers-remembering that it is normal for temp to be different at different levels of the tank even with a filter.

Do you have a filter and what is the placement of the heater, tank size and how is the Betta tolerating the temp...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
That is the brand heater I use in 10 different tanks that range from 1gal to 5gal and generally will keep the water temp in the 74-82F range-more or less- based on room temp and I keep my house pretty cold in the 68-70F range and in the area I keep my tanks it a bit cooler since I heat my house with a fireplace.

What and how are you checking the temp-type of thermometer and the placement of the thermometer....I use several different methods on different tanks-some I have the floating glass type and others I have the stick on the outside temp strips and when I compare the temp with my digital thermometer I use for quick checks- I find the temp can range by 10 degrees more or less depending on placement of the tank thermometers-remembering that it is normal for temp to be different at different levels of the tank even with a filter.

Do you have a filter and what is the placement of the heater, tank size and how is the Betta tolerating the temp...
My room is very cold, so I actually turned on my own heater to help bump up the temp! I am using a floating glass thermometer, it is in the corner of the tank, I might try moving it to the middle.

My heater is on the back "wall" somewhat in the corner. Maybe I should try moving it to the middle of the back "wall"?

I do not have a filter, as my tank is fairly small about 2 gallons. He seems alright, is eating, not as active as my sisters Betta who has warmer temperatures. It's been about a week, and he hasn't changed his activity level at all, but the tank has been this cold for a week... was hoping it would get warmer, which is why I left it for a week
Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I would do a temp check with a different thermometer-
If you have a meat thermometer or some type of digital thermometer-place a plastic bag or something over it to check different areas and levels-then compare to the glass thermometer to rule the thermometer out as false readings

Is the Betta staying close to the heater itself as if to stay warm-I wouldn't compare his behavior to the other Bettas either since they can all be different for one reason or the other....
Old 02-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #5 
JBosley

Quote:
I would do a temp check with a different thermometer-
If you have a meat thermometer or some type of digital thermometer-place a plastic bag or something over it to check different areas and levels-then compare to the glass thermometer to rule the thermometer out as false readings

Is the Betta staying close to the heater itself as if to stay warm-I wouldn't compare his behavior to the other Bettas either since they can all be different for one reason or the other....
Alright! I will try that

He does go near the heater now and again, he doesn't stay near it though. Will post the new temp with different thermometer soon!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #6 
JBosley

I used a digital thermometer... it said 68F, which is lower than my glass one. I tried unplugging the heater and changing the outlet it was in, but nothing. I think I shall go buy a new one
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Is the red light coming on-if not take it back and they should take it back due to it being defective.....I would try at least.... I have read several post from other that have had problems due to being defective....I have 10 of them and have never had any issues...lucky I guess....lol....
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #8 
JBosley

Quote:
Is the red light coming on-if not take it back and they should take it back due to it being defective.....I would try at least.... I have read several post from other that have had problems due to being defective....I have 10 of them and have never had any issues...lucky I guess....lol....
The red light WAS coming on, now it isnt So yes, I am going to make them take it back haha! Hopefully tomorrow He should be okay until then right? I am going to wrap a blanket around his tank and turn up the heat in my room for him
Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #9 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
The red light WAS coming on, now it isnt So yes, I am going to make them take it back haha! Hopefully tomorrow He should be okay until then right? I am going to wrap a blanket around his tank and turn up the heat in my room for him
try changing the placement of your heater. i also noticed that keeping my filter turned on helped to regulate the temp in the entire tank.

Before when i wasnt doing this, i had cold spots and the heater would shut down when the rest of the tank was cold. with water circulating i am now hitting what the thermostat is set at.

i also have it laying down on the bottom of my tank held in place with suction cups. this was my only option since the hood prevented me from having the heater vertical.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #10 
JBosley

I exchanged it for a new one! And it's working Also put him in a smaller tank, because his got a crack. This is also helping keep the temperature up!