Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 
GeoDragon

Question Do you eat fish?

Long story short, I started wondering this after I found out a coworker of mine refuses to consume poultry because she has pet chickens. I started wondering if some fellow fish keepers also refuse to eat other fish.

I myself love sushi and eat almost all types of seafood! I don't think I could live without fish and have even thought about going pescetarian just because I really do enjoy fish that much!
GeoDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I like some fish like tallapia, cod, haddock, ect.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 
Sakura8

I don't eat fish but then, I didn't eat fish before I started keeping them. XD Since the ornamental fish we keep are so different from the commercial fish we eat, I guess it doesn't bother me as much. Although, some of the bigger fish we keep are considered food fish in other countries.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #4 
Myates

I'm not a big fish fan.. but will cook it and eat it to give my daughter and boyfriend a healthy dinner.
I just make sure to cover some of my tanks that are near the counter so they don't see me cooking up other fish
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5 
kathstew

I don't eat fish that much. I like tuna and sometimes salmon or tilapi.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with eating fish as the fish we keep eat fish themselves. xD
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I love eating fish! Sushi, smoked salmon, flounder, grilled tuna, baked swordfish, fried catfish. There is nothing like eating a smoked flounder that you pulled from the ocean just hours ago. There are few fish I don't like eating. In fact, I would one day like to work in the foodfish aquaculture industry. Fish are a great, environmentally friendly way to get protein. Unfortunately, most of the fish we harvest from the ocean are in trouble. We've been taking too many and the populations are beginning to dwindle.

Another interesting quandary: How many here have ever skinned, gutted, or otherwise cut up a fish?

I have cut up fish for both scientific sampling and personal consumption. I believe the way I was able to do it was through compartmentalization. That and the species I was working with looks nothing like the fish I keep.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #7 
Betta Slave

Personally, I really dislike cooked fish, except for flaked tuna in sandwiches- but sushi, especially salmon sushi, I love. :D
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 
erinandares

I hate fish. >.> For eating, that is. I can't stand it, but I never have been able to eat it. It just... disagrees with me on every level imaginable. That, and I have a serious problem with over fishing and non sustainable methods of fishing, which seem to be the more prevalant ones. I mean, you could argue that beef/chicken/pork/whatever are from farm factories, but in all honesty, I'm against that, too. I rarely, if ever, eat meat. I wouldn't at all if not for my stupid brain.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #9 
purplemuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post

Another interesting quandary: How many here have ever skinned, gutted, or otherwise cut up a fish?
I have. My family taught me that you shouldn't be willing to eat what you aren't willing to treat with respect--including being willing to clean and gut it yourself. It's taught me to become more aware of what I put into my body. I'm less likely to eat fish(or meat in general) if I don't know where it came from.

It might seem gross, and some people have called me out on it. But we are eating the fish already. I think it's important to be aware that fish sticks weren't always..well, fried sticks of fish. It came from a rather beautiful creature, and yes there is a lot of nutrition to be gained from them, if we treat them with respect and care in the process.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #10 
Sprinkles

I do not eat fish. I'm a vegetarian, and although some call themselves that and still eat fish, I don't. I'm a softie when it comes to animals of most kinds, I can't even stomach to watch a fisherman leave a fish on the dock to flop around until it dies.

Though admittedly a lot of the problem I have with fishing and why I wouldn't support the industry is: 1) Overfishing. 2) Bycatch.

But in general, my rule is no food with a face. If it could have looked at me, I don't eat it. XD
Sprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote