Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM   #1 
ifish

Programmers?

Oh, hello there. It's been a while since I feel I actively used this site(well over two years. And I haven't had a betta for over 2 years so that would explain why). When I recently noticed there was an off-topic board, I figured "hey, this could be a good way to talk to fellow fish lovers about topics other than fish!".

Anyway, after I lost my betta fish Hydro, I turned to the internet to find a new hobby. I found a lot of documentation and pre-made tools, and open-source code that was about hacking the Nintendo Wii to run custom code, and that got me really into programming and such.

Then, I wanted to make a Twitter client made perfect for my needs for my laptop(Was running Windows at the time) so I learned Python and did so.

So, to recap: At this point, I knew some C(++), and Python.

After that, I wanted to run custom code on my iOS devices, and turned to the jailbreak community and learned a lot there. Looked at open-sourced code in Objective-C and eventually learned it a bit.

Last summer, I got a new laptop(Old one was 3 years old on the day I replaced it. It lasted a good long time. But as I grew, I also grew more demanding in terms of power.), so I picked up a MacBook Pro 13-inch(early 2011 model. Added 8GBs of RAM and a SSD + HDD combo myself). I had to work for it though, my parents didn't see why I needed it, they didn't understand, so I had to take matters into my own hands.

Anyway, then I started Objective-C again, to code for that. But I only picked it up again recently, since I got swamped with school work and stuff.

But not that anybody actually cares about that, I wanted to know if there were any programmers among us here. I'd love to chat about code and such.

I'd love to hear back from any of you. (In this thread)

-iFish
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:11 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Oh you should definitely talk to Silverfang. She's majoring in computer programming or something like that.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #3 
Silverfang

*wave* Yes as Sakura said I am studying computer programming. Sadly I'm not the best coder out there. So far I've studied VB as a learner introduction. Done some Java, but our teacher is a space case and I've had trouble picking it up.

All my instructors must love windows, they push loops upon loops upon loops. Shesh! I'll drag my friend onto this forum, he'll love to talk geek with you. HE's self taught as well.

I find the syntax harder than the logic behind the code.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
ifish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
*wave* Yes as Sakura said I am studying computer programming. Sadly I'm not the best coder out there. So far I've studied VB as a learner introduction. Done some Java, but our teacher is a space case and I've had trouble picking it up.

All my instructors must love windows, they push loops upon loops upon loops. Shesh! I'll drag my friend onto this forum, he'll love to talk geek with you. HE's self taught as well.

I find the syntax harder than the logic behind the code.
Aaaaah, Java and VB. I don't know either of those, but I hear they're pretty simple(I actually hate Java with a passion. ). I'd love to chat with you friend.

Also, the logic behind code in indeed the easy part. The syntax however, is where most people either "get it" or just don't and probably never will easily.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 
Silverfang

I'm more into the database management side of things. Trust mw when I say he's gonna comment on your MacBook. He is a major mac fanatic, he's got I think three older ones.

Learning Csharp is the biggest complaint about our course curriculum. As for Java..... pardon me while I shudder.

I have an easier time writing SQL code. Hope Oracle doesn't give me any trouble. I think we start that in summer session.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6 
ifish

Ahaha, I'm a huge Apple fan. But, I'm not biased, as I do like Android quite a bit.

Also, C#(sharp), I never felt like learning it on my own, since I figured for what I do, I don't need it, as I don't use Windows, have any plans to code for WP7 or XBL Indie. I see it as "It'll be useful when I actually need a job" and college will teach it to me next year anyway.

Also, I see. So you like web stuff and server-side. Nice. I've found a few MySQL exploits and holes before. Not that I use stuff maliciously, since I don't. But I've found many on my school site and I've contacted their IT Dept and nobody took me seriously there... They literally laughed at me over the phone. But whatever. I don't blame them, who would take a 16 year old seriously anyway.

I actually have no experience in Oracle.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 
Silverfang

Yea, I know what you mean. Heck even as an adult IT or customer service people often don't take you seriously.

I find SQL coding much simpler than Java, heck anything is better than Java.... stupid ;;;

Picked up on networking pretty easily as well. It might not be coding but it is math!

I'll pester my friend again after work tonight. Tell me, get much experience with the hardware side of things?

Last edited by Silverfang; 02-10-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #8 
ifish

It sucks, I know. I really wanted to use my hole after they laughed at me, but alas, I didn't.

Also, I love math so much.

Hardware side? As in... building computers? Or like, hardware hacking and stuff like that? I've built many computers before, and like circuit boards and stuff. I like soldering stuff to hardware and such. Last year in Science class, we had to make a car, that has a flickering light using circuits(not just a flashing light) opening and closing on its own, and I quite enjoyed that. But, software engineering is my main love.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Talking about taking apart a computer and putting it back together.

Never did anything with soldering. Gotta say no one likes WP7 I'm ashamed to say that's what I'm using. Then I saw an android, I so want HTC.
Either way get to know the 2's. Especially with networking. Hah... VLSM will make you head hurt.

I'm actually in a work term, I get to update people who log on to the VPN.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #10 
ifish

Ahaha, nice. Also, I like WP7s UI. But I prefer iOS in terms of UI. WP7(The Metro UI in general) just wastes a lot of space. Also, I want full control over my device, which is why in March, I'm getting the Galaxy Nexus.

I personally hate HTC. I like their UX and UI, but I don't like how every few weeks, they release a new damn handset. That's my main gripe with most platforms besides the iPhone. When buying an iPhone, you have the piece of mind knowing it won't be replaced/obsolete within 3 months. Unlike... let's use Motorola as an example: Motorola Droid RAZR launches and literally weeks later, they make it outdated with the Droid RAZR MAXX. or, the Samsung Galaxy S II and then a few months later Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket. Like gosh darm slow down.

The only smartphones I could use without rage are: The iPhone(But the size annoys me. It's waaaaay too small.) and the Nexus devices, since those come out yearly and don't get small spec bumps throughout the term.