Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 
SDragon

Angry Wow!!!

Went to Walmart yesterday. There were around 25 bettas in those little cups. 5 of them were dead and covered in mold. Around five had severe fin rot with little pieces of their fins floating around in the water with them. Around five had water so dirty it was brown. Most were listless. Only around five looked in good shape. A cute little Cambodian male. A white male and a blue/white male. The white and white/blue were falring at each other. I wanted to take those to home so badly!!! Exspecially the blue/white. I felt so bad leaving them there, but I dont have any open tanks. :( Walmart sucks!!!
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

well my walmart don't sell betta's or any fish but i see a store that do neglect betta's in those little bowls right, normal for people that are stupified on books, well these people sell deformed animals like a snake with one eye, highly in-breded clownfish, etc 0-o and the betta's little bowls are less than half filled 0-0 poor little fishie there was a cute blue combodian boy there in low water
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 
EimajElocin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDragon View Post
Went to Walmart yesterday. There were around 25 bettas in those little cups. 5 of them were dead and covered in mold. Around five had severe fin rot with little pieces of their fins floating around in the water with them. Around five had water so dirty it was brown. Most were listless. Only around five looked in good shape. A cute little Cambodian male. A white male and a blue/white male. The white and white/blue were falring at each other. I wanted to take those to home so badly!!! Exspecially the blue/white. I felt so bad leaving them there, but I dont have any open tanks. :( Walmart sucks!!!

I agree with you. I went to walmart to buy a school of tetras for my tank. I ended up seeing a blue/green little girl betta, maybe in an inch of water.
Since I had an open tank I couldn't leave her, I bought the poor dear. (: Now, she's queen of a 20 gallon tank.
EimajElocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #4 
Badjer

Our local Walmart doesn't sell bettas, but I refuse to buy fish from any of them. What I don't understand is how they are ALLOWED to let it be that nasty. Even if you don't care about fish, and have the "It's just a fish" mindset, how is that sanitary?!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #5 
SDragon

A snake with one eye? How can they not see that they are doing something wrong? Thank goodness your guys Walmarts dont sell bettas.
That is so nice that you were able to rescue her. She must be so happy!
Yes I agree with you Badjer. If I was an employee I would feel super bad just walking by the fish. How can any person just leave them there? I mean mold growing on them? they must have been there for a week at least, probblally a lot more. It is disgusting. :(
Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

My walmart used to be bad, but now they take pretty good care of them. On occasion I see a dead one or a sick one, but for the most part they are healthy have been to petsmarts and petcos that take worse care of their fish. And my walmart has gotten some pretty nice fish so I tend to buy from there more often than any other store.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #7 
Nutt007

I know this feeling. Our Walmart didn't have Bettas, but now that they do; they are placed on a dusty shelf where you can hardly see them. I even once found two males in a cup once. And Walmart isn't even the worst. I went to one of my LFS, and the fish were in placed in cups that looked like these!

Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 
MadameDesu

Oh my gosh! That's terrible!
I work as a tutor for ESL students, and the woman at the college's reception desk has one of these setups: http://www.glassislands.com/pics/litb002-betta.jpg
Where do people get the idea that they can treat animals like this?
MadameDesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #9 
Layman

For those who say their WalMart doesn't sell bettas; go to the isle they sell fish food on and double check. I was pretty surprised that mine does. Only live animal in the store, and I recognized the packaging. Same seller as PETsMART I think.
Layman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #10 
SDragon

Wow those cups are even tinier than Walmarts!

Glad to hear that at least one Walmart is finally taking care of the fish!