Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #1 
Vier

Sbd?

My betta looked very slow last night, I chalked it up to him just trying to sleep but this morning, he was definitely lethargic, floating, laying on the bottom/scurrying up to breathe. Is this SBD or can it be something else?

I put him in a small cup (the ones they come in) so he can reach the top easier, hes in a 2.5 normally. Its 78 degrees in there and a little bit of aq. salt. Anything else I can do aside from fasting him for now? I came back tonight and he looked worse :( his eyes turned red, and so are the edges of his fins. Those aren't symptoms of SBD so can it be something else, or just the general stress of him right now? I took a photo of it, his gills look fine and theres nothing else on his body really.

I feed him spectrum pellets..lately only 3 a day, I used to do 2x a day a while ago but cut back. Hes just so active and responsive normally, its so painful watching him be like this, he looks like a dead fish pretty much :(
Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi Vier,
You said he is normally in a 2.5 gal tank, how often do you change his water and by how much? The red streaks could be associated with poor water quality and some people think it's related to high nitrites level, or this could be due to an internal bacterial infection (septicemia).
For now, keep him in super clean water for the next few days. Try to get him to eat or he won't have the strength to fight this. In the meantime, try PM Sakura for medication help.

Good luck!!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 AM   #3 
Vier

I uh, dont actually remember how often, tbh. I changed it all a day before he started looking down, generally every few days. Lots of plants, i hav the api test kit and water chcks out fine.
Does the red show up w/ poisoning slowly? The red showed up only today, and he has had clean water recently. Definitely changing water every day since hes in that tiny cup, but as far as feedin him I wanted to wait 3 days? :(

E: can something envieonmental cause it ? I added in sand substrate recently, as well as new plants (i constantly do), i use ferts too but only teeeeeny amounts, under recommended lvls. Flourish, proplant, excel.

Last edited by Vier; 02-10-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 
Vier

It looks like fin rot today...I see many pieces of his tail floating around :( changed all the water as usual, salt, 78f. I'm not sure if its better to put him back into his tank (ordered a better heater and Ill set up his filter again) because he'll need to work harder to swim to the surface. And theres gravel/sand which can irritate?

I work at a pet store so I can pick up treatment today if needed... the mela/pima isn't so great for bettas right? Jungle fungus eliminator ok? Not sure if we have that or Maracyn...only mela/pima and another brand of fungus/ich treatment.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vier View Post
It looks like fin rot today...I see many pieces of his tail floating around :( changed all the water as usual, salt, 78f. I'm not sure if its better to put him back into his tank (ordered a better heater and Ill set up his filter again) because he'll need to work harder to swim to the surface. And theres gravel/sand which can irritate?

I work at a pet store so I can pick up treatment today if needed... the mela/pima isn't so great for bettas right? Jungle fungus eliminator ok? Not sure if we have that or Maracyn...only mela/pima and another brand of fungus/ich treatment.
Are you seeing the edges of his fins blacken or discolored? If you are seeing chucks of his tail, that could also mean that he had been biting/tearing off his own fin. Looking at the photo again, it is possible he may be a tailbiter due to those curved marks.

In the first post, you said he was floating, then you also mentioned scurrying to the surface to breath?
So is he really on the bottom laying about and hardly move? Then your photo showed that he was laying on his side on the surface.
Does he look like he is grasping for breath all the time?
What dosage is the aquarium salt?
Is he still in his little cup (as shown on photo)?

If he is sinking at the bottom and having a hard time going to the surface, you want to treat him in a shallow tank with epsom salt. But if you see that he has fin rot, then you need to do aquarium salt at the right dosage for it to be effective. However, you can't mix those two together. If it is just simple fin rot, you really don't need any medicines, just super clean water and aquarium salt (if at all). Is he exhibiting other symptoms now?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 
Vier

In that photo, the edges of his fins are red. Its abnormal. He is not a fin biter (not that I've ever noticed and I watch him a lot). He looks worse today, even more red and more fin missing (I can see pieces in the water).

Here is a pic of him normally:

Thyis is him now

He was doing both laying on the bottom flat, floating on the top flat or kinda lopsided. Today, he looks better, hes floating upright and not as crazy scurrying up to breathe. Im looking at him right now and hes slowly swimming upright. But still lethargic, on the bottom. I take it the SBD is slowly going away but the fin rot is now progressing fast.
Hes still in the cup, I only put a few (chunks?) of aquarium salt in because I didn't now how to dose it, I just thought it might help somewhat but didnt want to overdo it.
I want to pick up some antiobiotics now though from other advice, because the rate of his fins deteriorating is crazy to me (Im not sure if thats now fast it normally goes, that fin loss photo happened in a day) ... I am reading over http://www.americanaquariumproducts....dication2.html right now, not sure who will carry it locally :\

Last edited by Vier; 02-10-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
earthworm88

What a stunner!

In the second photo of his current state, are the top half of dorsal fin and caudal fin becoming dark patches? Or is that just lighting due to the leaves from the top?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #8 
Vier

No black patches at all. The photo is just the background coming through from behind I think. You can see from the healthy pic, the bases of the fins are more blue/white but the tips you can see through.
Just red. Could that somehow be because he is colourless?
Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #9 
earthworm88

ok. that's good to know

The cellophane fins' blood vessels tend to be more prominent (to be distinguished from Septicemia). You mentioned earlier that his fins appeared to be more red/bloody as seen in your first photo. My understanding is that fin rot do not take away chunks of fin so quickly. The pronounced redness that you saw could be from the biting marks causing blood vessels from the rays that had been broken. As for tail biting, I think majority of owners never see their bettas in action as they do it surreptitiously and quickly and possibly during the night/during your absence.

Hopefully this will bump up your post so others can see it and give advice. Or try to PM OFL, Sakura etc directly.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #10 
Vier

I will pm sakura.

Another shot from different angle..top down, you can see how red the eyes are when it should be clear/blueish. And that pectoral fin! Compared to yesterdays floating image.