Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #1 
1fishBlueFish

Life in Rivendell

So since I have a regular blog. I'm going to make a blog here about my fish Gildor Inglorion and his home in my tank called Rivendell.

It starts on February 9 when my daughter and I went to Petco. We were looked at all the Betta fish and we saw one that was really pretty but weren't sure what to call his color. He was flaring and trying to attack his neighbor through the plastic.

My daughter is 6 and loves blue and noticed the ends of this strange colored fishes tail were blue! She immediately declared that he was a magic fish and we needed him! After watching him close and checking him out I decided to get him! He looked really healthy. I was pondering a name and decided Gildor Inglorion. Thus his tank would now be known at Rivendell.

Gildor is settling in well and seems to be enjoying his new home. He loves his food and is a very fun fish. I was at first worried that the decoration in his tank was too big but he seems to enjoy sleeping atop the head. :)

Thus concludes chapter 1 of Life in Rivendell
1fishBlueFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #2 
1fishBlueFish

I switched on Gildor's filter today! It doesn't seem to bug him at all. We're having issues with Amonia because the tank isn't cycled so I bought some Amonia clear and I'll use it today and then in 3 days I'll do a 100% water change. I want to wait a few days since I just got him into the tank and I don't want him stressed.

He's a funny little fish! I put my finger in the tank and he came up and was swimming around my finger
Old 02-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #3 
onefish2fish

100% water changes can be stressful too. i suggest changing up to 20% on a normal change and 50% max if testing reveals anything really off.

maybe can you post pictures of your adventure?
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 
1fishBlueFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2fish View Post
100% water changes can be stressful too. i suggest changing up to 20% on a normal change and 50% max if testing reveals anything really off.

maybe can you post pictures of your adventure?
Thank you onefish2fish!! I really appreciate it! I do want to give him a break which is why I'll do the ammonia clear stuff now and then in a few days I can do a 20 or 50% change :)

I will definitely share photos during our next adventure. He's a funny fish :) He seems really happy and was blowing me some bubbles earlier
Old 02-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 
Aus

Gildor is very pretty. And I like his tank statue! LOL @ sleeping on its head.

I met a man from Rapa Nui not long ago, interesting fellow. Had tribal tattoos and a beautiful gold pendant his parents made for him with the family 'totem' on it. Always wanted to go there.

And awh, 'magic fish'. Six is such a lovely age. Thirteen is somewhat less delightful, but at least I can steal her nail polish.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:32 PM   #6 
copperarabian

O.O Rivendell!

...... I think that..... I might need to name my sorority tank lothlorien.... you have inspired me and my crazy LOTR fandom love :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 
1fishBlueFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Gildor is very pretty. And I like his tank statue! LOL @ sleeping on its head.

I met a man from Rapa Nui not long ago, interesting fellow. Had tribal tattoos and a beautiful gold pendant his parents made for him with the family 'totem' on it. Always wanted to go there.

And awh, 'magic fish'. Six is such a lovely age. Thirteen is somewhat less delightful, but at least I can steal her nail polish.
I would love to visit Easter Island someday but my dream get away is to New Zealand. My daughter's ashes were scattered there into the sea by a very dear friend.

Six is a fun age :) LOL
Old 02-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #8 
1fishBlueFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
O.O Rivendell!

...... I think that..... I might need to name my sorority tank lothlorien.... you have inspired me and my crazy LOTR fandom love :D
You totally should! <3
Old 02-10-2012, 07:52 PM   #9 
1fishBlueFish

Blue lights means bedtime for Gildor. Last night I wanted to give Gildor a break but also I wanted to be able to read the thermometer. Right now we're on a trial run. My room is kept at about 80 because I have chronic pain if I get cold. So far the tank temperature hasn't dropped below 81 and that's without a heater so I've not put one in yet. So I turned on the blue tank light and fell asleep.

When I woke up this morning Gildor was asleep on the statue head. So tonight I told Gildor it was bedtime and turned on his blue light. Now Rivendell is awash in beautiful shaded darkness and it's time for fishies to sleep.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #10 
1fishBlueFish

Gildor does NOT like water changes!!! We changed out 50% of his water today and he was ready to go to war with us!!! He was flaring at the siphon and swimming around like he was so so angry!!!!