Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #1 
BettaBreeder

Conditioning feeding schedule

Well, I've gotten some frozen bloodworms (thankfully I found out our local pet shop carries them). And I got a lot of Brine Shrimp eggs online, so I'm going to be giving my Bettas live Brine Shrimp too. I also have a few different kinds of dry Pellets.

My question is what should my feeding schedule be?

I gave them some frozen (thawed) B.W. the day before yesterday which they gobbled right up (the female especially). And then I gave them live Brine Shrimp yesterday.

What I have them set up in, is a 10 gallon with a homemade partition thing (screen material over a wire frame) dividing the tank in the middle, so they both have a half of it. I did this so I could save on space and not have to set up another heater, filter, etc. in another tank (since I'm running out of space to plug anything else in). :P

They can see each other through the screen, and the male's been making a bubble nest in there and flaring at the female. The female basically ignores him for the most part, flaring or fake charging a few times.

So what schedule should I put them on? I also have the microworms I could incorporate once a week or so.

Thanks in advance for any help!
BettaBreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I feed mine 3 times daily with what ever I have. But twice a day will also be sufficient if you feed a little more.

BS and MW are for the fry, not the adults. But it's OK if the adult would eat them.

I hope I misunderstood - if you can't have more heaters, how can you house the parents once they're done spawning? And you might need a bigger grow out tank if you end up with a lot of fry - how will you heat that?
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 
BettaBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I feed mine 3 times daily with what ever I have. But twice a day will also be sufficient if you feed a little more.

BS and MW are for the fry, not the adults. But it's OK if the adult would eat them.

I hope I misunderstood - if you can't have more heaters, how can you house the parents once they're done spawning? And you might need a bigger grow out tank if you end up with a lot of fry - how will you heat that?

Thanks for the help.

I should have explained better, altogether I have a 30 gallon planted aquarium with heater, filter, etc. (that will be the "grow out" tank once I have some Betta fry. I have a ten gallon breeding tank that has been conditioned and everything, it has a heater and sponge filter, along with some plants and decorations for hiding. I have the 2 adult Bettas in another ten gallon tank with a divider in the middle (so they each have plenty of room). That has a heater, filter, and decorations. I'm conditioning them in here presently.

I have plans for what I'll be doing with all the fry. I know all about how I could end up with a few hundred at a time. : )

I also have a few more larger aquariums sitting around (not setup yet), that I could set up if need be (probably in another room with a heater and everything). I just meant I'm running out of outlet space in my room where I have these three tanks set up, I have quite a lot of cords to plug in. :P
Old 02-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Just like indjo, I feed mine 2 or 3 times a day.
Just watch out for excessive bloating and make sure you increase your water change frequency.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 
BettaBreeder

Okay thanks vilmarisv. I'll do that.