Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #11 
Myates

Mine moves immediately when placed in water.. normally drops faster then it rises.

If I had a larger tank for the bettas I would go digital myself.. but since I have all of mine in keepers, no point in getting a digital. So I'm jealous of you :P
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #12 
sbtlove

Sorry didn't get a chance to check back since my last post til now. We went to a local pet supply shop to get a starter kit and I didn't realize it but the one we picked out had a deal where you get that specific kit and you get the fish free. So we got the fish and the kit.

I guess he is okay in his little cup a little longer until the tank is ready. Says with the purifier it should be safe for him to be in there once the water reaches room temp. (However I'm going to another store to get a thermometer and a heater)

I got the marina betta kit
sbtlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #13 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtlove View Post
Sorry didn't get a chance to check back since my last post til now. We went to a local pet supply shop to get a starter kit and I didn't realize it but the one we picked out had a deal where you get that specific kit and you get the fish free. So we got the fish and the kit.

I guess he is okay in his little cup a little longer until the tank is ready. Says with the purifier it should be safe for him to be in there once the water reaches room temp. (However I'm going to another store to get a thermometer and a heater)

I got the marina betta kit
Eep! You need a heater and a bigger tank... Bettas should be in at least a 1.5 gallon tanks. Those start kits are waaaay too small! They are usually about .5 gallons
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #14 
mathkid

Congratulation on your new fish!

Do you mean one of these?
http://www.petco.com/product/106657/...escription-tab

If so, you could keep it as a holding tank, but can I please ask you to reconsider?

I know a lot of people have kept bettas in a half gallon. They survive, but it is not ideal for them - they are tropical fish and appreciate more space. Smaller water volumes are tricky and require more care. For example, it isn't safe to put a heater in a half gallon - the temperature will fluctuate too much.

If you absolutely must keep him in a half gallon, be sure you pick a water purifier that neutralizes *ammonia* as well as chlorine and chloramine, and you will need to do frequent (every other day) water changes. You will want to keep your room at a consistent temperature, preferably 72+ degrees - if your room temperature fluctuates between 68 and 72 like most people's, that is too cold.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #15 
sbtlove

http://www.petco.com/product/10367/M...20Purple-10367

This right here.

I figured I'd get him something bigger once I get some paydays. Don't want to spend too much money on this until I know I can keep the fish alive. But for now it will have to do.

Of course I've already screwed up. My eyesight is really bad. I thought it said put half a cup full of that purifier in. Not half a cap full. Ended up using the whole thing.

So I dumped the water, and I refilled it. I hope its okay and there wasn't too much of it left in there to hurt the fish. I haven't put him in yet. I probably need to go out and get more purifier.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #16 
mathkid

A little extra water purifier won't hurt him (like a full cap instead of half a cap) - I don't know about a *lot* more.

But a little *less* water purifier definitely will hurt. If you put a fish in tap water without purifier, it will get poisoned and die. (ETA: Assuming typical tap water containing chlorine/chloramine)
Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #17 
sbtlove

My friend used a gallon of store bought water. Without purifier. How does that work?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #18 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You need to use purifier, the chlorine damages the fish pretty bad.
Also for a half gallon make sure you read the directions, probably a purifier that says it's for betta specifically would be better in a half gallon, as many other purifiers say to use so and so much for 5gallons, which makes it hard to measure. So just check the directions to make sure it's easy to measure out for you tank.
For now just keep his home in a warm place (but not like right in the sun or over a heating vent).

For the bottled water, I'm not totally sure but as long as it's not distilled and has natural minerals I think it is okay. Distilled water has no minerals or anything, which the fish needs.
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #19 
mathkid

If you get pure water (no chlorine added), it will be safe for the fish. Though usually tap water is better because it has other trace elements that are good.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #20 
sbtlove

My husband said we will go out and get a better tank when he gets home. Let me ask your opinion on a few