Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #21 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtlove View Post
My husband said we will go out and get a better tank when he gets home. Let me ask your opinion on a few
I'm glad he gets a bigger home! Although I see your point on waiting, haha. You could always wait and try Kijiji or something for a cheap used tank. I can't wait to see pictures of your Daughter's new friend!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #22 
sbtlove

What do you think of these:
http://www.petco.com/product/114820/...TanksAquariums

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-1-...-Pets/10312983
sbtlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM   #23 
sbtlove

Here is a picture of "Fishy". He doesn't officially have a name yet. Right now he is just "Fishy".

Obviously right now he is still in the cup he came from the store in. I'm trying to keep it as warm as possible in here. I'm keeping him near lights.

I'll get a much better quality photo when he is in the tank. He is very active. I got the most active one, just thinking he is probably pretty healthy.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #24 
JBosley

Personally I love the Aqueon tank (first link)! But I really dislike hexagon and corner tanks, no idea why haha

My 2 are eventually getting the Aqueon tank.

Ohh he looks like he has some nice coloration! Congrats
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #25 
sbtlove

Thanks,
He is very pretty
Old 02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #26 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I own the 5 gallon version of the aqueon and it is AWESOME!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #27 
sbtlove

So I am about to head out in 30 to meet my husband to pick out a tank. Will he be okay in his little cup a little longer? I've got the temp set in the house to about 75 degrees. (Miserable for my dog, but I don't want the fish water to get to cold.)

I'm going to get some more purifier. How much should I use. And how long til its safe to put him in. I know with the little tank it said immediately? Should I get the same brand purifier? Or what brand do you recommend
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #28 
mathkid

He's very pretty, and you're right - picking an active one is a good choice!
Don't worry, your fish will be fine for a while longer in his cup - after all, he's been in there for days or hours in the store. He'll be fine even if your temperature is 72... bettas *are* hardy fish.

So it sounds to me like you want to do right by Fishy but not break the bank. That about right?

The Aqueon looks a little better to me (and I agree with the comments on the corner tank - Bettas can see their reflections in corners). But the trouble with both those kits is that they include filters and lights (which are optional), but not a heater - which is really *not*. One has flake food rather than pellets. You can't tell how soft the plant is, etc. It'll include a sample of water conditioner, which will run out pretty quickly.

I'd recommend you pick up a Kritter Keeper, a preset heater, and some bits of decor for an absolute basics tank. You're going to need to buy water conditioner anyway because the kit samples are pretty small, so go ahead and get the littlest bottle of Prime or some other brand that neutralizes ammonia <- this is just important if you think you might miss water changes. Get a glass or LCD-stick on thermometer, whichever responds to your hand temperature fastest in the store.
- medium Kritter Keeper - $10
- Hydor MINI heater - $9
- gravel ($5), soft plant ($4)
- Water conditioner (Prime) - $7 - I've also used Tetra AquaSafe, and heard good things about AmQuel. Myates siggy has a link to a list of water conditioners
- glass or LCD thermometer - $2 (Amazon is expensive at $4)
- Betta pellet food - $5

That totals you something like $42... which is pretty comparable to a kit plus heater and thermometer ($24 + $9 +$ 2 = $35), and then water conditioner & food when you run out...
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #29 
mathkid

Yes - purifier works immediately. The bottle you get will tell you how much to put in.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #30 
cjayBetta

I got my daughter a fish when she turned 2, shes 3 now and we still have him :)
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote