Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

I got laughed at because of my bettas...

A friend of mine mentioned my bettas, and I got laughed at by a couple of people in the highschool. Now, of course I am not taking offense to their laughter - because at least I know I can keep an animal alive I bet those two, if they ever had a pet ended up neglecting the poor things! Then again those two.... are the lazy grade 10 kids who think the world revolves around them - therefore I guess to them, pets may just be disposable. Who knows? Either way.... Why am I being laughed at for owning fish? It's an animal. It's a pet. It feels pain.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #2 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
A friend of mine mentioned my bettas, and I got laughed at by a couple of people in the highschool. Now, of course I am not taking offense to their laughter - because at least I know I can keep an animal alive I bet those two, if they ever had a pet ended up neglecting the poor things! Then again those two.... are the lazy grade 10 kids who think the world revolves around them - therefore I guess to them, pets may just be disposable. Who knows? Either way.... Why am I being laughed at for owning fish? It's an animal. It's a pet. It feels pain.
People are really immature, and some never grow up their whole lives. Just be glad that you are one of the few who is already showing responsibility and maturity at a young age. Don't let their childish antics give you pause, unless it's just to laugh at them and remind yourself how thankful you are to have been raised better than they were.

When I was younger I actually came home and thanked my mother for teaching me simple manners because being around kids all day without any, made me realize how valuable they are.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #3 
kitkatbar

People are really dumb sometimes.

They probably don't have much love and care in their lives so maybe they can't understand that you are caring.

Hang in there! Good news is you get to leave high school one day and you never have to see those people again, and then most people you meet will at least TRY to act like adults :)
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #4 
nel3

my brother is 23yrs old (im 25) is like that but he doesnt dwell on it at all. he occasionaly asks why i go so far for a fish. the only one i know that understands the fish's need is my father. the rest think a Betta is "just a fish." my brother is a dog person so it might explain it a bit.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #5 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
my brother is 23yrs old (im 25) is like that but he doesnt dwell on it at all. he occasionaly asks why i go so far for a fish. the only one i know that understands the fish's need is my father. the rest think a Betta is "just a fish." my brother is a dog person so it might explain it a bit.
I am a dog person and I love my bettas. He just need to experience the love a betta has to offer. Next time he asks, get him a pretty macho colored male betta and show him how to care for it. Chances are the fish will grow on him and he will understand.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #6 
tpocicat

I love dogs, cats, birds, rats, and of course fish! Some people are just immature and can't see beyond their own interests. Someday they may grow up...Don't worry about them.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 
hotrod57ts

dont worry about them.jest be happy with your bettas.
hotrod57ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Haha yeah... When I was 13 I didn't exactly want a betta to be truthful - because well... I wanted a cuddly pet and such. But NO PETS ALLOWED said my mom aaand I got a fish xD Mister, the dark blue betta :p I will say though, if anything fish are the responsibility and respect teachers :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #9 
TaraVictor

I used to have goldfish when I was little, and then as I got older my hobby in fishkeeping faded. But just as recent as this September, I got back into fishkeeping, and I love it. =)

It's proving to be a bit more challenging than I thought (I've already made a few mistakes having already lost a betta, introducing fish too soon, as well as overstocking my tank) but I really enjoy it. It's not immature at all. It just shows how dedicated you are to your betta/fish and how much you care about them. Just think you're the better person over them in that sense. ;)

Too bad not everyone thinks the same.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #10 
LittleNibbles93

I've had some people look at me weird for having so many bettas, and caring for them. But my friends respect it, thankfully, they've just come to call me "Crazy Fish Lady" :D Which is okay, cuz I'm crazy.
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote