Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #1 
Wolfstardobe

Exclamation Bad Tap Water!

Recently I moved to another city and the specific gated community that I live in gets water from it's own well.

The issue is the water had arsenic in it!

It is approved for drinking but...

I think it's killing my plants! I got by tank here and it's been about two and a half months and I have been doing small water changes and just thought the little browning of my plants was them getting used to the new water... But now I have No more jungle val... No more Anacharis...

The only things I do have is java moss and some moss balls left... My snails have all but disappeared as well... Should I switch to bottled water for my tank??
Wolfstardobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Huh. Arsenic is poison, and they let you drink it? o-o odd.
Uhm, I'd probably switch to a bottled water at this point.. just make sure it's not distilled, and has a decent amount of minerals in it :)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #3 
Aus

If you have a bigger tank and you're not in area where crops are sprayed, and there's no massive chemical drift (from neighbours using herbicides/pesticides) - you could try a rainwater tank? There's some non-ugly plastic ones on the market. Lots of folks have them in my city for garden use, as we have severe water restrictions at times. One used solely for a fish tank wouldn't need to take much room, really, and would be kept quite clean of debris with proper mesh over the opening. I'd probably avoid roof run-off, though, as goodness knows what's in the guttering materials.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote