Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 
angiessa

Kritter Keeper light?

Does anyone use this, and if so, does it work well? I want to ditch the crappy BettaWave tank I have and switch to a large KK, but am trying to figure a way to light it without taking up any more desk space.

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...roducts_id=457

ETA: I should probably mention that I don't need a plant-friendly light, since this tank will just have artificial plants in it.

Last edited by angiessa; 02-10-2012 at 04:31 PM.
angiessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #2 
wolfiegreen

I've been wondering the same thing but there arn't a lot of reviews on them on any site
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 
JBosley

I actually took the light from this (had one when I didn't know much about Bettas):
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

And made it fit on my Kritter Keeper, I removed the plastic viewing thingy that is on the lid of the Kritter Keeper and just bent the light so it fit sideways! I'll try and get you a picture of it, I stink at explaining stuff. It works awesome!
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #4 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfiegreen View Post
I've been wondering the same thing but there arn't a lot of reviews on them on any site
Yeah, that's the problem I'm having - can't find any reviews for it. I'm a little worried that it might not be rated for use as an aquarium light, and is intended for reptiles and other small animals normally kept in a KK. I'd hate to get the thing and then find that it's not going to work with the evaporation from a fish tank. :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
I actually took the light from this (had one when I didn't know much about Bettas):
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...26amp%3B+Bowls

And made it fit on my Kritter Keeper, I removed the plastic viewing thingy that is on the lid of the Kritter Keeper and just bent the light so it fit sideways! I'll try and get you a picture of it, I stink at explaining stuff. It works awesome!
I thought about doing something similar with a plain desk lamp -- leave the plastic viewing window on the KK and just angle a lamp over the top to direct the light. But, like I say, I'm trying to save on desk space, so I'm trying to find another option first. Maybe I'll just break down and get another 5-gallon Walmart special. Hard to beat 30 bucks for a 5-gallon tank with a full hood. ;)
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 
wolfiegreen

I'm doing the desk lamp thing for now but may just try the kritter keeper light eventually
Old 02-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #6 
angiessa

Yeah, for 12 bucks it might be worth the experiment.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #7 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiessa View Post
I thought about doing something similar with a plain desk lamp -- leave the plastic viewing window on the KK and just angle a lamp over the top to direct the light. But, like I say, I'm trying to save on desk space, so I'm trying to find another option first. Maybe I'll just break down and get another 5-gallon Walmart special. Hard to beat 30 bucks for a 5-gallon tank with a full hood. ;)
Haha no kidding eh?! I eventually want to get 2, 2.5 Gal tanks or get a larger tank and divide it. Or maybe 2 5 gals from wally mart haha
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #8 
angiessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Haha no kidding eh?! I eventually want to get 2, 2.5 Gal tanks or get a larger tank and divide it. Or maybe 2 5 gals from wally mart haha
Heh -- it's crazy that the WM 5-gallon is actually cheaper than some 2- and 3-gallon tanks I've seen.

This is the one -- I have one already, but may need to just go ahead and get another. They're pretty nice for the price. I would just buy it, but there's the trying to save desk space thing.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #9 
wolfiegreen

I used my bed as a desk and used my desk as the fish tank stand lol
Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 
angiessa

LOL, that's one solution!