Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #1 
sledder

New Betta help, tips??

So i just got a Male Betta and an aquarium starter kit; 5 gallon tank, filter, heater, rocks. Im just curious as to what little trinkets and toys and what not the fish like. Im wondering on how to tell if its a male or female, and if it is a male, will getting a female be ok? Or will they just fight? I just wanna get a buddy for him so he wont be lonely. If you have any tips, tricks, hints, whatever will help, its greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
sledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the site and the hobby! It is great that you have him a heater and a filter. Many new owners overlook the fact that bettas are tropical fish and like tropical temperatures. If you want to add some trinkets, caves and fake plants (without sharp edges) are great as they create hiding spaces for your fish.

The easiest way to tell a male from a female is that the males have longer fins. If you have a long-finned fish it's a male. If you have a short-finned betta then you have to look at other characteristics. These will be easiest to see when you get your betta to flare. If you hold a mirror up to his tank, he will flare and try to fight his reflection.

Getting a female is a VERY bad idea. Male and female bettas will kill each other. They should only be put together to breed. If you want to breed make sure you do your research first. From what I hear, it's more difficult than it sounds.

A 5 gal tank is too small for him to have any buddies aside from shrimp. Bettas aren't schooling fish and don't need conspecifics to feel safe. He will be more than happy to just interact with you.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #3 
sledder

what about a Molly? will he be alright with one or two Mollies?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

A 5 gal tank is too small to add any other fish in with your betta. Mollies have a pretty heavy bioload and shouldn't be kept in a 5 gal at all.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
sledder

what about an algae eater? i got one of those also, but now im not sure if that was such a good idea. what do you think? sorry about all the questions, im new to all of this lol
Old 02-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #6 
kfryman

Mollies need brackish water to live their full life span. Just remember, anything under 10 gallons is too small to add any other fish.

Quick question do you have a heater? Bettas are tropical fish and will be much more lively with a heater, they will also be much healthier.
Tips:
  • Weekly water changes: about 30% should do.
  • Have the tank lights on for 12 hours or less (Longer will promote algae growth)
  • Feed twice daily with one day skipping meals (2 pellets pr feeding 2x a day)
  • Interact with your betta; watch him explore, teach him tricks (Jumping for food), having him flare every so often...
Have fun learning about your new guy!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #7 
sledder

I do have a heater, i got it from a friend. Now what did you mean by one day skipping meals? not feed him for a day??
Old 02-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #8 
sledder

what about food. all i got with the fish was Aqueon brand Betta food. ive heard of people getting shrimp or worms, what should i do? for regular diets and snacks and stuff?
Old 02-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #9 
sledder

and what should i keep the temperature of the tank at?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #10 
sledder

nevermind on the last one, just cant figure out how to delete it