Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #1 
Hopeseeker

Question Food Question:

I am currently feeding my betta Aqueon pellets....is there another kind of pellets that might be better for my Jericho?
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #2 
Myates

Aqueon is sort of popular.. the top two I believe, going by ingredients and taste tests by very picky bettas are New Life Spectrum Betta pellets, or my personal fave, Omega One Betta Buffet.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3 
Hopeseeker

Lightbulb

Here is a very informing forum that I found while searching on google:
http://www.fishforums.com/forum/bett...ds-bettas.html
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #4 
Ayane Hajinmon

wait...im confuse...i thought if the Ingredients start with fish mean its good...but Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bites is in the bad category even tho the ingredients start with Fish meal, shrimp meal...can someone tell me why is it bad? i been feeding my fish crappy food all this time? omg
Ayane Hajinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 
JKfish

The ammount of protein is important as well. Bettas require at least 40% protein (which the topfin pellets have) as well as at least the first two (preferably 3) ingredients as some sort of fish/shrimp/etc product. Whole fish is much better than fish meal because fish meal would simply be the end bits that no body wants (bones, guts, fins, etc). Because Topfin only has fish and shrimp meal, it isn't as high quality as some of the nicer sorts.

Last edited by JKfish; 02-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #6 
MandiceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKfish View Post
Whole fish is much better than fish meal because fish meal would simply be the end bits that no body wants (bones, guts, fins, etc)
This isn't true. The word "meal" means dehydrated and ground up. So fish meal is fish meat that has been ground and dried. "fish by-product meal" is the bits that no one wants. Don't get confused by the two words. by-products are the parts that are not desirable. "meal" is just the state that the product is in, not the product itself.
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #7 
JKfish

O_o oh my gosh, thank you for correcting me. For some reason, I've always thought that meal and by-products were the same.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #8 
MandiceP

nope. :) I work in a pet store and have been studying pet nutrition (on my own as there aren't really formal classes for this in my area) for a good few years now and I was confused by this when I first started out too! Glad I was able to clear it up for someone else! Lots of people get this confused with dog and cat foods too! ;)
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #9 
Myates

Nice work MandiceP :) And you are absolutely correct that there aren't a whole lot of factual information out there when concerning aquatic care.. the basics and a lot of opinions are what you mostly find. Why I tend to go the "very well balanced" diet over just pellets or flakes.. even if I have a very picky fish <glares at Xander>.. I just recently found out about obtaining live foods throughout winter, so I can feed them live all year round, homemade food with shrimp/spinach/garlic, pellets, flakes, very particular about freeze dried and even frozen.. as sometimes frozen food lacks in nutrition due to different ways it is frozen.

I have too many of them to spoil them all with 10g+ tanks for each.. so I spoil in food and am particular in their water changes lol.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 
MorganC2010

I use Omega One Betta Buffet small pellets and my bettas seem to like it even better than their fd bloodworms that used to be their treat/favorite. Now when I drop a few of the worms in they excitedly swim up to the surface only to seem disappointed and uninterested. Now I have to find a new treat for them lol.

But one note about Omega One Betta Buffet pellets, I bought the small floating type but they still seem to big for my bettas so I cut the pellets in half before I feed it to them.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote