Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #1 
EimajElocin

What to add to 20 gallon?

In my 20 gallon long, I have 1 female betta, 1 clown sucker, 3 ghost shrimp, and yesterday I had 10 tetras, but today I only have 3 (Not too sure why, my female didn't bother them and they had no scratches on them or anything.)

What else should I add to the tank? I definitely wanted more ghost shrimp, more tetras (But not sure why they died... any suggestions?) and I also wanted some Kuhli loaches, and maybe 1 nerite snail.

Does this sound good? Opinions please.
EimajElocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #2 
bettafish15

They likely died from ammonia poisoning, which happens to new tanks because people add fish right away, when they need to do it slowly over a couple weeks to allow the filter to cycle. I would wait before adding fish, and think about getting the API liquid test kit so you can see for yourself when your levels are good enough to add fish.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #3 
EimajElocin

I've had the tank for a while now with just plants in it, it's fully cycled.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 
MandiceP

You still have to be careful adding fish tho. If you add too many at once you can overwhelm your bacteria and it can start to cycle again. I would only add 2 at a time or so. It is best to at least take water to a fish store that can test it for you if you can't get a test kit yourself to keep an eye on the parameters as you may have accidentally started the cycle over by adding too many fish. That could be why so many died at once?
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #5 
EimajElocin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandiceP View Post
You still have to be careful adding fish tho. If you add too many at once you can overwhelm your bacteria and it can start to cycle again. I would only add 2 at a time or so. It is best to at least take water to a fish store that can test it for you if you can't get a test kit yourself to keep an eye on the parameters as you may have accidentally started the cycle over by adding too many fish. That could be why so many died at once?
Yes, that's probably the reason. I had 3, (tested them out with my betta) Then after I had them a bit I bought 7 more and added them all at once.
I don't have a kit (I'll get one soon) but I do have a pet store right next door and I check my water frequently there.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #6 
MandiceP

The kit is great to have. I bought the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and ph all separately and I wish I had just saved up for the kit because it would have been cheaper :/ But having a store nearby that will test is great! Keep us posted!
MandiceP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #7 
sasszsara

Amazon has the master kit for $18. It's quite a bit less expensive than at Petsmart or Petco
sasszsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 
EimajElocin

Okay, thanks guys!

I figure I'll just keep my tank how it is now and once I get some more plants I'll add more fish